• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safe storage for coins

2 posts in this topic

I'm building a wood bookcase and storage cabinet for my coin collection, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding archive-safe materials.  I've got the no-PVC thing and no acid-producing substances, but it's hard to find out whether specific coatings in particular are a risk.  For example, any types of wood that are not recommended for storage cases?  Oil-based stains?  Latex paints?  Water-based polyurethane laquers?  Adhesive-backed velvet sheets sold for lining jewelry boxes?

Thanks in advance for any inputs--I don't collect anything really valuable, but I want to make sure the silver and proof coins I do have last for generations!

I'd say moisture and general air pollution are greater questions. If you live in a humid climate, you either insulate your coins from that or what happens, happens. Same for air pollution, which can vary a lot in type and meaning. Most people's houses are more polluted airwise than the air just outside the house.