• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this doubling called?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I know this isn’t a bonifide dbl die, I remember it being asked and answered by several, D16E9D52-2D56-4D45-A8F3-F7FB7DACD18D.thumb.jpeg.51eff24d6e56e881f4fc2d5964212ab8.jpeg I just can’t find that thread. What is this doubling called when you can see the date underneath and alongside and through the loops of the nines? 

48 minutes ago, ronnie stein said:

Found the thread, can answer my own question, broadstrike/ die cast doubling/ etc. , and now I know the gender of the person running it all......

It is not a broadstrike, and I don't know what die cast doubling is. It does, however, appear to be die deterioration doubling.

I have no idea what the last part of your post means. 

2 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

Found the thread, can answer my own question, broadstrike/ die cast doubling/ etc. , and now I know the gender of the person running it all......

Did they tell you what their pronouns were?

I shouldn't have started this thread, I should've had more patience and found it myself. From now on I won't post anything unless I absolutely need help. Greenstang, Hinkle, Just Bob, Kbbpll, Conder, JKK, the list of people goes on, I value their opinions and willingness to help people. I shouldn't have said "and now I know the gender of the person running it all". (BROADstruck). I'm learning, new at this. I'll do and be better in the future if I post anything, promise. Kbbpll, if I found a 1969 s penny like that other person did, I would definitely post that one to get everyone's opinion. It looked like a good dbl die to my newbie untrained eye for sure! I've got a lot to learn, and you all are doing a fine job of teaching. Thank you much...   

Isn't there some kind of "plating doubling"? I can't remember what the specific name for it is. Something about how the plating appears reflective near the raised devices, giving the appearance of doubling. I see this on a couple of my reprocessed zinc-plated steel 1943 cents. I can't find the reference or remember where I saw it, so I could be totally wrong.

2 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

I shouldn't have started this thread, I should've had more patience and found it myself. From now on I won't post anything unless I absolutely need help. Greenstang, Hinkle, Just Bob, Kbbpll, Conder, JKK, the list of people goes on, I value their opinions and willingness to help people. I shouldn't have said "and now I know the gender of the person running it all". (BROADstruck). I'm learning, new at this. I'll do and be better in the future if I post anything, promise. Kbbpll, if I found a 1969 s penny like that other person did, I would definitely post that one to get everyone's opinion. It looked like a good dbl die to my newbie untrained eye for sure! I've got a lot to learn, and you all are doing a fine job of teaching. Thank you much...   

You understand that it's possible you're being kidded, right, or that people just didn't get your joke, and that those responses don't govern whether you should or should not post? That it is okay to laugh along with a clinker note? You may be gently heckled. I get gently heckled. It doesn't mean you will be crucified upside down and then broken on the wheel. Some people have dry wits.

That said, the biggest problem with your post was not your question. It was the horse*spoon*ery of the photo quality. Didn't even bother to rotate it, and was fuzzy. If you're going to work on something, consider that, not the judgment of whether you should post at all. The question itself wasn't bad. On top of that, you were prepared to hear a truthful answer. While I for one am totally over modern minor manufacturing defects, I at least respect when people ask for guidance and don't subsequently start arguing when the answer is not what they hoped for.