• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this correct

10 posts in this topic

Both are counterfeit and have no numismatic value. Also, a little bit of research would have shown you that genuine Trade Dollars weren’t made until 1873. 

19 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

a little bit of research would have shown you 

Haven't you heard, Mark? This newer generation of collectors doesn't do "research" any more; they ask questions on forums. "That's what we're here for", right? /sarcasm alert

Also, this poster has now shown us nothing but counterfeit coins, of several denominations. Could he be "test marketing" them? Inquiring minds want to know.

21 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Both are counterfeit and have no numismatic value. Also, a little bit of research would have shown you that genuine Trade Dollars weren’t made until 1873. 

How dare you blame him for failing to conduct research about a coin's date? If the ones who made the counterfeit failed to do so : ) 

Edited by AtlantisCollections

On 3/3/2020 at 6:57 PM, kbbpll said:

But isn't the 1791 a perfectly legal "fantasy" coin?

No. It is a counterfeit. It has the correct issuing authority and denomination. Nothing else is required for classification as a counterfeit. A "fantasy" piece will lack one or both of the above - OR - have the HPA required "COPY" stamp on one face.

14 minutes ago, RWB said:

No. It is a counterfeit. It has the correct issuing authority and denomination. Nothing else is required for classification as a counterfeit. A "fantasy" piece will lack one or both of the above - OR - have the HPA required "COPY" stamp on one face.

Sorry, I was just stirring the pot. I shouldn't do that.

18 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Sorry, I was just stirring the pot. I shouldn't do that.

That's good. Can't make a good stew without a little stirring.

:)