• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1917 S penny error?

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me determine if and what type of error this is. I'm relatively new to collecting and haven't seen this before. Missing 2 letters, both the L & I in liberty. Also I believe there is a die crack under the 17 in the date.1207191459.thumb.jpg.d5e21d00e815e53adf28e2a8ed697171.jpg1207192136.thumb.jpg.ba729ca1a02a8d5cd7ee229dc4c80994.jpg1207192128.thumb.jpg.98c2b60e7e67a62b7b58140d36b8ed83.jpg

Welcome to the Forum WhoDo

I have asked the moderator to move this to the proper forum. This forum it's for registered sets. 

As far as your coin goes, it looks like you have a grease filled die which eliminated the letters and made others weak. This fairly common. Hard to tell from your pictures but that looks more like a scratch than a die crack. A better focused picture would tell which it is.

7 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum WhoDo

I have asked the moderator to move this to the proper forum. This forum it's for registered sets. 

As far as your coin goes, it looks like you have a grease filled die which eliminated the letters and made others weak. This fairly common. Hard to tell from your pictures but that looks more like a scratch than a die crack. A better focused picture would tell which it is.

Thank you so much. I appologise for the misplacement of forums. I just joined this morning. I appreciate the information and quick reply!