• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just picked up my first colonial - 1788 massachusetts - whatcha think

17 posts in this topic

3590852_1.jpg

i don't have a picture of the reverse, but i got a money back guarentee

anyway, i don't know anything about these coins.. other than what i've read since i first saw it. i'm wondering if it's a variety because it looks a little different than others i have seen (lettering right on the edge, the bow looks different) i found this site:

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/..._by_variety.htm

but i don't know what to make of it... it looks like it's in great shape, i just hope it's not fake. what do you guys think? and what do you think i paid for it/or would you pay for it?

thanks, Mc

p.s. it has the period after massachusetts - red book values it at $220 in fine, $450 vf, $1000 xf.. i don't even know how to grade these but i'd imagine it's in that range?

I know very little about these, but it doesn't look right to me. I'd send it in for grading and authentication ASAP and make sure that money back guarantee is going to protect me.

yeah i do plan on sending it in i think.. not sure how but i want to

i asked the guy if it was authentic, and brought up the differences and he said it was a variety, he's brought it to a couple shops and they all agree that it's real. he seems like a legit seller, has many items up, a history, etc.. got it at overstock.com

hope this works out, i've already paid for it confused.gif

Agree with Greg all the way on this one. If seller will not stand behind it while waiting for it to come back from the TPG, then I would get it back for a refund toots sweet. Too many of these are counterfeits. Bob [supertooth]

Best to start collecting with "regular issue" coins. Stuff that most normally would not bother to counterfeit. Pick a circulated set of coins and buy a grading book. Merc dimes---Wash quarters---Franklins---Whatever you want. But best to stay away from things that "counterfeit countries" are making every day. Like Trade Dollars---unless you buy from trade dollar nut----Or Colonials [like you are now messing with]----much gold is bad [u. S. gold has been counterfeited it seems forever]---do not ever buy a 16D dime that is not in a holder---same with 93S Morgan or 09Svdb penny. All these should only be purchased by the so called experts or in those TPG slabs. It may seem macho to buy something that is sort of very old and way out there but, if you are not an expert at what you are buying, be prepared to get burnt. Either get that coin to a TPG service----with a guarantee while you wait for it. Or get your money back and buy a nice coin already in a slab. Heck, for 80 bucks, you can get a real nice coin in a NGC holder. Bob [supertooth]

McKinley,

Good to see that you are providing input to the boards and not just stirring the pot and making trouble for yourself. Good job. thumbsup2.gif

fake and a no questions no brainer fake and an extremely BAD fake at that

extremely pi$$ poor quality manufacture and execution

i could even tell it was fake if i was blind just by listening to the [#@$%!!!] spewed forth from the seller of this coin

i hopes you gets your $$$ back

this really bothers me when a collector get screwed by a LYING crooked sleazy coin seller THAT KNOWS THE COIN IS FAKE

let me see i will ask this seller a question when he is hooked up to the full proof michael lie detector machine

do you think this coin is a genuine original mass copper coin??

sellers response yes i do! devil.gif

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

you lie makepoint.gif

Micheal is right... I got one that looks really simular.. fake is an understatment... The first tip off ever is the lettering... An All original one will have fatter letters .... The letters will also not be so close to the edge... the details on the front of the coin are all off... normal wear on a real coin would look so much different.. on yours you will also notice a rim hit on it at 6 o'clock(The reason it is there was at one point someone probably checked the metal content of the coin. Just a guess.).... but for me the immediate tip off was the lettering... return it quickly... or keep it as a lesson.. hope that helps.. if you get the coin in hand... you will see a seem on the rim which means it is a cast and you will also notice cent is almost completely missing (or at least mine is) which is not the way they wear down.... cent is one of the last things to go, but yet somehow this one will be missing it with other details being good. Looks to be the same type of casting as mine... not a very good copy... Hope all this helps...

It looks like a fake and a very poor copy IMO. It isn't genuine and I'd return it ASAP. If you picked it up off of eBay you have to be very careful that place is a mine field!!!

like i said i cancelled payment, and like i said it was overstock.com.. and supertooth it's colonials that i'm new to.. i know about regular coins but yeah thanks for your ideas about mercs and stuff (why did you say all that i'll never know) and yeah i like to do my thing if i stir the pot then it needed it wink.gif how's that tune go... ez e ez e ez e can eat a big fat.... xxxx 27_laughing.gifomgroflmmfaoX754

but hey really, thanks for confirming that this is BS.. this forum is priceless seriously

Thats what these forums are for ... to try and help others... I will try to get some pics of mine up later.... so you can see the back etc.. I am sure it is the same casting... as for what it would grade.... VF to XF range would be fine if the wear on the coin is correct on it... So therefore you really can't grade it accuratly... but seeing the coin as it sits... VF 35

I am sure it is the same casting...

are you suggesting that this might be real? i'm confused.. you said earlier that it is beyond fake

and i find it odd that the guy hasn't gotten back to me since i pulled out.. as of right now it feels like he knows it's 'homemade'

No no... Same Casting as in the same run of fakes... like it was faked from the same batch as mine....I have a fake that looks just like the one you pitcured... Casting meaning it was made from the same mold... it would still be a fake...