• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NewB Questions for inherited ungraded coins

7 posts in this topic

My father passed away last year and I'm trying to organize his coins.  My parents owned a LCS back in the early 80s and my dad had always been into coin hunting.  The first coin I was prepping to send in is his 1909 S VDB penny.   My question is about what is the least expensive tier I can use?  Looks like my only choice is express due to the coins value being over $1000 and the coin being older than 1955 and not gold.  That's $60 to start.  Is that really the best option I have?  If I send other coins at the same time are they all graded at the same tier even though they are worth under the $300?  If I'm going to grade several of his coins (maybe 12 to start) can I get a pedigree on the labels listing the coins back to his estate?  These aren't the highest possible grade coins so the pedigree is just personal.  Is pedigree as simple as checking the box in that submission area, typing in what I want the pedigree to read and paying the extra $5 fee?  Is there a minimum tier, number of coins or other requirements for pedigree?  Any help to start is great.  I tried to call NGC but couldn't find a number that didn't come back with a busy message.  Am I wrong in getting this graded? I just have kind of assumed that this coin should be graded in any condition.

1909f.jpg

1909r.jpg

Earlybird standard is $35 per coin value up to 3K.  You have to do separate submissions for any coins that you want to submit under a different service tier like the economy tier.  To save on shipping and handling fees you want to submit as many coins as you can for each tier you use.   There are some situations where a special label can be done I don't know if your situation is one of those; and just being honest; unless your father was someone of stature in the numismatic world the label will not be of value to anyone outside of your family.  Plus a special label could actually reduce the amount you might be able to sell for as some buyers will factor in the costs of reholdering to get rid of the label.  If your planning on disbursing the coins to family members rather than liquidating a special label would be a nice addition to honor your father.

As a side note if the color of the coin is just like in the photos you've provided; very nice pics btw; I have some doubts that this will straight grade.  You are correct that this is a coin that your should have graded regardless of what grade is assigned, most collectors today will be suspicious and guarded of a raw 09 S VDB  

Edited by Coinbuf

Aren't there only four S-VDB date/mm combinations? I would examine those (should be searchable) and compare mine before I sent it in.

9 minutes ago, JKK said:

Aren't there only four S-VDB date/mm combinations? I would examine those (should be searchable) and compare mine before I sent it in.

Looks like a perfect match for position #3.

@infinity24 sorry about your father. I look forward to seeing the answer about pedigree. I have many raw coins from my grandfather and have thought for a long time about getting them slabbed with his name on them. I wouldn't care whether that effects the salability, they go to my kids.

15 minutes ago, JKK said:

What would be the benefit of me figuring out the 1 of 4 as opposed to NGC doing it?  Is that something they don't do on each coin and I'd need to request if it is anything special?

1 hour ago, infinity24 said:

What would be the benefit of me figuring out the 1 of 4 as opposed to NGC doing it?  Is that something they don't do on each coin and I'd need to request if it is anything special?

The logic is that if it doesn't match one of those, authenticity would be in question.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, infinity24 said:

What would be the benefit of me figuring out the 1 of 4 as opposed to NGC doing it?

If it doesn't match 1 of the 4 then it isn't real and you can save the $35 to $50 it would cost to get an opinion form NGC.

Edited by Conder101