• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do i go about this one???

8 posts in this topic

So yes i am new to this and in fact preparing to send off my first few coins to be graded. Among these is a 1960 no mint mark Franklin halfdollar uncirculated full bell lines. Beautiful. Except on the reverse there is dd in e pluribus unum and it is very obvious. My microscope is being troublesome and wouldnt just let me take the picture with computer like usual so i appologize for the stupid picture moment but i really wanted you guys to see it good. 

I know the previous mint year had ddr in the same place and year after in obverse i think. But nothing is documented for 1960 and not on the list of acceptable known errors for ngc. 

Is it possible that this was printed on a prior year reverse? How would i be able to get this graded and have the error recognized if it isnt allowed in their database? How would i even be able to guess value without anything to compare to? 

Please help. I would like to send off first round of collection by the end of the week and submitting this one is going to be a big hold up. Thank you for tolerating my ignorance. I feel foolish asking this. 

20200203_212159.jpg

20200203_211610.jpg

I don't think that's a doubled die, just mechanical doubling. Can't give an opinion on the FBL, since we don't get a usable picture of the reverse. Assuming (no offense, just being candid) that if you don't recognize mechanical doubling, you probably are not a highly experienced FBL judge, if it were me I'd look up what the value of an MS-63 1960 Frank is (in my recent magazine, $18, meaning retail probably $13), and ask myself if I could live with that outcome from the grading service.

If you can, and you still want to send it in just to see if this is an FBL and/or might get 64-65 or even better (no way for us to guess yet), then send it in. If it doesn't get what you want, consider it tuition. (This is not very expensive tuition. Expensive tuition is paying $2K for a fake S-VDB penny then finding out it's counterfeit.)

Yeah definately have issues with machine and dd but a lot of that is the back forth intel i have recieved. But i am learning and trying to find those that have the actual knowledge to inquire about things. 

Truthfully, for the fbl, i had just watched a video from jbcoins and compared to a few pics off heritage so it is very likely i am missing a crucial detail. 

But it is my inexperience that leads me to post here for a little clarity and lessons learned. And a low level loss would definately be better then 2k. That one would hurt! 

20200203_223520.jpg

Good luck with it. Of course, if you posted the reverse, you could get some reasonable FBL opinions. The obverse presented needs to be cropped and blown up a lot, but the coin looks attractive enough to have potential to get a nice grade. But yep, forging ahead is how we learn.

If you want an opinion here about FBL, I would skip the microscope and get a well-focused image with your phone, like the first one you posted.

Iirc, the dies were worked on in 1960 ( please someone correct me if I am wrong) , meaning 1960 had a better chance of FBL than those coins minted in the last remaining years or just prior. 

So, as others have said, you should post the reverse to get opinions. 

On 2/3/2020 at 10:51 PM, LuLuLovell said:

Yeah definately have issues with machine and dd but a lot of that is the back forth intel i have recieved. But i am learning and trying to find those that have the actual knowledge to inquire about things. 

Truthfully, for the fbl, i had just watched a video from jbcoins and compared to a few pics off heritage so it is very likely i am missing a crucial detail. 

But it is my inexperience that leads me to post here for a little clarity and lessons learned. And a low level loss would definately be better then 2k. That one would hurt! 

20200203_223520.jpg

I posted this before with the picture. I guess it never showed up? I must have done something funky with the attatchment process.