• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two of my Baltimore newps

12 posts in this topic

Without cheating, try to attribute the FH dollar and also tell me a little bit about it...

BB-26_ChVF.JPG

The scuffs on the reverse of the Trade Dollar image is actually on the holder.

1875-STrT1revMS63.JPG

EVP

I don't know anything about the different varities of Bust Dollars or Trade Dollars. But I do like the "original" look to both of the coins. What is the grade of the FH dollar?

I tried to make the attributions, but I had such strong physical and emotional reactions to the trade dollar, I'm afraid I now have to see my shrink frown.gif. I'll send you the bill, EVP (the amount? One 1875 trade dollar smile.gif).

Hoot

EVP,

The 1795 FH is a B12, Reiver says R.5, current JRCS is R.6. Thirteen berries, 7 on left, 6 right. Reverse J is used on B12 before B5 and B6. Obverse also used on B22 R.8 which was the first usage of obverse 8. Note the wide space between I and B of Liberty. At least two B12's exist in EF40.

Is this die marriage really an R.6?

Bill

Yes, definitely a 1795 B-12. For me, the tell-tale sign is the lowest curl on Liberty extending beyond the point of Star 1. A nice earlier die state, lacking the prominent die crack from the rim, through the date, up through the neck of Liberty.

About six years, I lost out on a great one offered by Heritage in a fixed price list in Numismatic News. Sold 15 minutes before I called. frown.gif It was graded AU-55 by PCGS and was offered at $6,500! I tell you...the ones that got away!

--Cardinal

P.S. EVP, is that the VF30, formerly from the Warren Miller collection?

Bill,

I think the 1795 Bol.12 (BB-26) is really an R.6, albiet probably somewhere in the lower half of that 13-to-30 range. I've been looking for this variety for quite some time now, so I kinda track any all that I know about. They really don't show up often, and most that I've been offered have been not of EVP-quality!

Cardinal,

I think you are a witch! Yes, you are correct that this is the Miller specimen. How the heck did you recognize this specimen?

EVP

...so I kinda track any all that I know about...

Well, that makes two of us! I do my best to keep track of as many of the cool ED's as I can, so that one doesn't get away without my knowledge.

As far as being a witch is concerned, my Y-chromosome disagrees with you. smirk.gif

--Cardinal