• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1857 Bank of Upper Canada 1 Cent

7 posts in this topic

That one's in kind of nice shape. I like pre-Confederation Canadian tokens and coinage, like this Upper Canada bank token. Not hugely rare, but worth I'd guess $6-12.

I have one too, also from my grandfather. Very cool but pretty common. I think that there are a bunch of varieties of these, mostly with the details on the reverse. There's another forum more active with Canadian experts that has community in its name (not sure if we're allowed to post links). Somebody there could probably tell you if you have a less common one, but you'll need better pictures.

9 hours ago, kbbpll said:

There's another forum more active with Canadian experts that has community in its name (not sure if we're allowed to post links).

One thing that I have noticed about this forum is that the folks at NGC are very tolerant about things that may be frowned on or punished on other forums, such as linking to other coin related sites. As long as you don't abuse the system or the rules, you get a pretty free hand here, as I think it should be.

What you have is the more common 1857 Bank of Upper Canada Token with no varieties as far as I know.

This was the last year of production of the English Pound system as in 1858 Canada switched to the decimal system and started using "Cents". I can't tell from your photos what the grade would be but unless it is Au or higher, there is not a lot of value in them because as I said , they are quit common in circulated condition.

Here is a picture of an uncirculated one to compare yours to.

1857 Bank of Canada.jpg

Courteau does list a bunch of varieties in his 1934 book; seems like they're mostly are about size of the dots in the rosettes and number of dots in the rope. If you're interested, you could download a copy of the book here http://www.jdfergusonfoundation.ca/books go to "Classic Canadian Reference Books", then the Bank of Upper Canada book is at the bottom. Page 28 starts the 1857 varieties. I don't know if there's any difference in rarity or who collects them. A lot of them seem to be die crack and die state related.

Edited by kbbpll