• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Steel Pennys, quantity 69, Papaw's Collection

8 posts in this topic

Not really. Look for those that appear replated, re-zinced, whizzed, or otherwise unnatural. There are three issues and none are rare, though high quality original uncs can be hard to find. They tended to tone up very dark grey, like those 'anthracite' football uniforms that look stupid on any team whose normal colors don't include grey. Just at a glance, some of those look like they might be rather nice. Common worn ones will be worth more than 42 or 44 cents of similar quality, but not enormous amounts more. I've bought them in bulk for 8c each.

To my eye, potentially the nicest one may be at the far right, second row from the top. It may be in the MS range.

Sorry for poor picture. Ive got 3 full pages of flips for these. Some are really nice.

Im starting to get a better picture of the value of Papaws collection. Yall havent seen much of it yet though.

I for one am loving your papaws collection.  No I don't collect a lot of what he has left you but the knowledge I am getting from the other people is fantastic.  Please keep showing coins. Remember they may not be worth lots of money but think of how much fun you are having and the thoughts the coin bring back of your papaw.  Did  see your 9 year old is helping too?  Maybe what is worth a little today might be worth a lot to her kids someday.

59 minutes ago, Rummy13 said:

I for one am loving your papaws collection.  No I don't collect a lot of what he has left you but the knowledge I am getting from the other people is fantastic.  Please keep showing coins. Remember they may not be worth lots of money but think of how much fun you are having and the thoughts the coin bring back of your papaw.  Did  see your 9 year old is helping too?  Maybe what is worth a little today might be worth a lot to her kids someday.

Yeah, I dont think I have a gold mine.  Make too much at my 9 to 5 to really let this coin collection be worth selling. Its not worth my time to sell honestly. Its fun to identify these coins. I do remember my papaw served in korea, and he took a trip to Isreal in the 70's. So that kind of explains some of these coins. My 9 year old son is really enjoying the history. My 7 year old just wants to karate kick the 9 year old, he has no interest in coins.