• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the grading process is a coin removed from the holder?

3 posts in this topic

Apologies if I missed this posted in an obvious place, but I searched the forums and the site and didn't see anything on this.

I'm wondering when a coin, that is in another graded holder, is removed from that holder? Does the grader assigned the piece do that or is that done by someone else so that the grader is given a 'raw' coin to grade?

Thanks!

• Administrator

Hello,

If the coin is graded by PCGS, it will be removed after the graders evaluate the coin.  If the coin is going to grade the same or higher, we will remove it from the PCGS holder and put it into an NGC holder.  If the coin is graded by another grading company, other than PCGS or NGC,  we will ask that you sign the consent to remove form allowing us to remove the coin from the holder as those will be considered as raw coins.  That process will happen after the order is received into our system prior to the graders seeing the coin.

Thank you,

Lisa

2 hours ago, LISA B said:

Hello,

If the coin is graded by PCGS, it will be removed after the graders evaluate the coin.  If the coin is going to grade the same or higher, we will remove it from the PCGS holder and put it into an NGC holder.  If the coin is graded by another grading company, other than PCGS or NGC,  we will ask that you sign the consent to remove form allowing us to remove the coin from the holder as those will be considered as raw coins.  That process will happen after the order is received into our system prior to the graders seeing the coin.

Thank you,

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. That answers my question completely!