• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unc details. Top pop? What does top pop mean?

17 posts in this topic

I don't see anywhere in the pic you posted anything that says top pop.  But what it means is that there are no coins graded higher, so UNC details is the highest grade that has been given out to coins given the details grade or designation.  It can be a very lucrative and prestigious distinction for a straight graded coin, in the case of a cleaned coin it really means your coin is tied with all the other UNC cleaned coins and means nothing.

Edited by Coinbuf

13 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Yep now it shows, you tie with the other 1,079 cleaned coins with UNC details.  And as I said it means nothing in the case of a cleaned coin.

Lol. Well that sucks. Wonder why they even put that on any of them when there all the same. Weird.

7 minutes ago, Bink2090 said:

Lol. Well that sucks. Wonder why they even put that on any of them when there all the same. Weird.

I agree. They need to take it off the software for Details coins. I actually have 2 TopPop coins that are straight graded and they have no others at the same grade - yes, two TopPop NoEqual coins. Think that's impressive??? You shouldn't! They are coins almost no one else would submit for grading. I submitted them for a very specific non-economic reason and they just both happened to come back PF70. The highest previous were PF69. Whose are better? I cannot swear mine are. That's the way grading works sometimes. It doesn't always mean what you'd think it means. [They were U.K. coins and the 3rd party grading fetish has not yet gotten to the insane point it has here. There are probably thousands of P70's out there still raw.]

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I agree. They need to take it off the software for Details coins. I actually have 2 TopPop coins that are straight graded and they have no others at the same grade - yes, two TopPop NoEqual coins. Think that's impressive??? You shouldn't! They are coins almost no one else would submit for grading. I submitted them for a very specific non-economic reason and they just both happened to come back PF70. The highest previous were PF69. Whose are better? I cannot swear mine are. That's the way grading works sometimes. It doesn't always mean what you'd think it means. [They were U.K. coins and the 3rd party grading fetish has not yet gotten to the insane point it has here. There are probably thousands of P70's out there still raw.]

Oh come on .. I think they should start the second to top pop and third … 

Yes I jest  

1 minute ago, Kirt said:

Ok VKurtB...so I'm curious now, UK pennies? 

Nope, for an exhibit on how many changes have happened since the 1971 decimalization to the shilling and florin. They are 5p & 10p proofs of the years the sizes of those coins changed. And I am including ALL the varieties, including the piedforts.  All my proofs came back 70's. I searched several years for really nice examples without haze.

1 minute ago, Kirt said:

Very nice! That must be quite an impressive exhibit.

I hope it is. It's a work in progress. I recently learned more stuff about the 2015 portrait change, so more work to do.

10 minutes ago, Bink2090 said:

I guess the fact that only the obv side being cleaned wont help the value any? I don't see an example of that being sold.

No cleaned is cleaned very often its only on one side.

6 minutes ago, Bink2090 said:

any Idea what the value would be?

Its a better date so there is some value, I checked the Heritage previous sales and found a cleaned UNC details sold for $400 in 11/19.  That one looked somewhat nicer imo so total wild guess is maybe $300-$350 range to the right buyer.

2 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Its a better date so there is some value, I checked the Heritage previous sales and found a cleaned UNC details sold for $400 in 11/19.  That one looked somewhat nicer imo so total wild guess is maybe $300-$350 range to the right buyer.

thank you sir.