• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indian Head Cent Strike Error??

8 posts in this topic

I have an 1862 Indian Head cent that is rather odd. It is unusually thick, and "crudely" made. The edges are not smooth but regularly "flattened".

Is it some kind of strike error or was it run over by a train?

Tom Pellegrini

tompellegrini1946@gmail.com

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

ahh...metal shop practice, methinks. Looks a lot like someone put it in a vise at 7:30 on the obverse and then had some fun tapping the rim opposite. Those flattened areas on the edge of the coin are deliberate post-mint damage but the exact mechanism is just a guess.

I'm sticking with bored teenager in metal shop.

Kirts explanation is as good as any. Unless you were there at the time, it is hard to know exactly what happened. The only thing for sure is that it didn't happen during the striking of the coin so it is PMD.

1 minute ago, Greenstang said:

Kirts explanation is as good as any. Unless you were there at the time, it is hard to know exactly what happened. The only thing for sure is that it didn't happen during the striking of the coin so it is PMD.

14 hours ago, Tom Pellegrini said:

And if the were just "taps" on the rim, why do they show up on the face?

"Taps" is a relative term. If I "tap" a coin's edge with a pen, or my fingernail, there's no noticeable movement of the metal although it could scratch. If I "tap" it with my 5lb maul, I have a seriously bent coin. In between, there's a range of impact that causes distortion of the metal to flow across the face of the coin. Kbbpll brought up spooning, which has always fascinated me from a physics (and patience) perspective...repeated tapping with a spoon on the edge of a coin is enough to displace metal and the result shows on the face of the coin; there's some fascinating videos that show the process...sped up of course. 

Edited by Kirt