• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barber Dimes Various Dates, Papaw's Collection

4 posts in this topic

Dates too hard to read; since they're all pretty flat, we're looking for keys. Please align correctly, crop better and zoom better (usually with modern cameras, all you have to do is crop well and the pic will be blown up in your post); in this case I'd suggest you arrange them 4 across 2 down and get better zoom. When you flip them over, obviously, a primary concern is that the same coin stays in the same spot (so we can get the mint mark).

Save As, rotate, zoom on the images. The dates are 1902, 03, 05, 06, 09, 12, 14, 16. The 06-16 are all P (no mint mark). 02 & 03 are too worn to determine mint. 05 appears to have a mint mark, but it may not be possible to determine S or O. If the 05 has a "thin ribbon", it would have to be 1905-S. The 09 might grade VG and I think the rest would be lower. The 02 & 03 would be better dates if they had an S, but it seems impossible to determine. Probably $2-5 each at the most. Melt value is currently $1.29.

RWC, if you currently do not have a copy of the Redbook ( The Official Red Book® A Guide Book of United States Coins),I strongly suggest buying one. Disregard the prices in there, other than auction prices realized, as they are mostly unrealistic, but the information is invaluable. Since you are dealing with older coins, and don't need to depend on the book for pricing, you can pick up a used copy that is several years old at a thrift store or used book store and save some money.