• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 Filipinas 20 Centavos, Papaw's Collection

6 posts in this topic

Probably not worth much. However, I really like this piece. It seems unique among Papaw's collection. Its the only one like it. I like the Volcano in the foreground. Any information would be appreciated on this, including the history surrounding WWII and the USA acquiring the Philippines as a territory. Papaw served in Korea. I imagine he picked this up on one of his adventures in that part of the world.

1944 Filipinas_1.jpg

1944 Filipinas_2.jpg

Edited by RWC III
added tags

It's not worth much, but it doesn't belong in the dealer's assortment can either. A ton of these have come onto the markets as the WWII and Korean War vets have passed along what they picked up in Oz/New Guinea/Pinas/Japan. It's part silver--about as much ASW as a Merc--and is most likely a D, but the obverse pic is too small for me to tell if it's the D/S (in fact the only way I think it's a D is that this is the other option--need better cropping to improve zoom). Anyway, it's probably not worth much more than a fairly common silver Rosie.

I have always liked these. I have picked up a few over the years, but I am thinking of putting together a Mint State set before they get too pricey.