• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 Continental Curency Real or Not? Papaw's Collection

4 posts in this topic

I guess because I don't have a premium account, I have a daily posting limit. So I will make this brief. This coin, real or fake, I have had for 25 years. My grandfather got it somehow. He started collecting coins, stamps, and paper bills in the 1930's as a young man. 

This coin weighs 15.XX grams (scale does not do 1/10ths). So, at least its weight is correct. Its diameter is within the proper range.  

To the naked eye, it looks convincing in person. I am sure someone here can point me to a defining feature to prove it is fake, or real.

1776_1.jpg

1776_2.jpg

1776_3.jpg

1776_4.jpg

Although the original coins were crude by today's standards, they weren't quite that crude. There is much missing detail that can not be attributed to wear, and it appears to be cast.

2 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Although the original coins were crude by today's standards, they weren't quite that crude. There is much missing detail that can not be attributed to wear, and it appears to be cast.

I figured. But...but...but...my hopes and dreams BOB!! Even though I knew it wasn't real, I guess a little part of me just died. lol