• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Papaw's Collection (RWC Senior)

5 posts in this topic

I haven't counted, but I believe I have a couple hundred coins. I've got just about everything I guess. I'll post pictures here on this thread. I suspect a few of these coins are worth grading/slabbing. I just need help figuring out which ones. I am currently studying the resources on this website to determine which coins are worth grading/slabbing. My mother has the balance of Papaw's collection in a lock box. I have just what he gave me while he was alive. The lock box contains gold coins, 1800's paper bills, all kinds of other things.

I wish not to wear the experts out, answering questions they have answered hundreds of times. I will do my best to educate myself. However, would you all be interested in seeing the collection here? This could be fun, and we can discover what I have together. Thanks for the warm welcome I have received today.

Tonight I will start the photo posting with a 1776 Continental Curency (1-C). I understand the probability that it is a fake. But to my untrained eye, and looking at Robert Rodriguez's collection, I need further proof its a fake. It does weigh 15 grams. Its Pewter.

Admin Note: I started this thread in the "Ask NGC" thread, and it was suggested I place it here. Please delete the other thread. Thanks!

Each coin in its own thread will be ideal. That way, the discussion can scroll off naturally as the subject matter is exhausted. Looking forward to seeing them, and if they end up putting you along a river in the Ozarks, listening to fifty head in the pasture, I'll be very happy for you.

16 minutes ago, JKK said:

Each coin in its own thread will be ideal. That way, the discussion can scroll off naturally as the subject matter is exhausted. Looking forward to seeing them, and if they end up putting you along a river in the Ozarks, listening to fifty head in the pasture, I'll be very happy for you.

DON'T GET MY HOPES UP JKK!!!! Okay, I will take your advice. One thread per coin. What do you think about labeling the threads "Papaw's 1776 Continental Curency", "Papaw's Buffalo Head Nickels" etc etc.? That way anyone wishing to find anything about this collection, can simply search for "Papaw".

edit:

I also forgot to mention. Papaw was a stamp collector. When Papaw died, he had two daughters and a son (my dad). We split the collection 3 ways! I am not sure what my Aunts have done with the collections. Once I get a handle on what my mom and I have, I will ask them if I can audit their share's if they still have them.

Edited by RWC III
adding info

I like the idea of a similar title for each thread, but listing the coins in question in the title also. That way, someone who is well-versed in that type of coin will be drawn to the thread, and those of us who love to see what someone has in their collection - and pictures of coins in general - will instantly know whose coins they are.

Just now, RWC III said:

DON'T GET MY HOPES UP JKK!!!! Okay, I will take your advice. One thread per coin. What do you think about labeling the threads "Papaw's 1776 Continental Curency", "Papaw's Buffalo Head Nickels" etc etc.? That way anyone wishing to find anything about this collection, can simply search for "Papaw".

No reason you shouldn't. Always make sure you ask a question (or multiple questions), so people know what to answer. You'd be amazed how many people just post a coin pic with no question. Reality: you will be the only one to whom it will matter whose coins they were. Those reviewing the forum will probably look at the thread title to see if the coins sound interesting; the Papaw part won't have much impact. If so, and they have a useful answer, they will likely give it. I skip most of the threads because I'm mainly a world/ancient guy and I don't care about 1965 pennies or 1982 dimes even if a mint employee seems to have engraved a great big phallus on the die. But other people do, so they respond.

You mentioned a desire to see which should be professionally graded. That depends on your hopeful outcome. If the value is not important, but creating a slick-looking set is the goal, then one might spend $30-60 per coin getting them slabbed. If however the goal is to enhance marketability, the hard question you're really asking is whether a good outcome would likely end up paying for the slabbing and then some. One also bears in mind that most coins for auction are expected to be slabbed--in part because that's a way of confirming authenticity. But know also that the auction houses can send them in for grading for you, and you get their volume discounting and preference. It is often best to let the auction house choose which grading service; they know the tendencies of each.

So if you thought you had a real 1776 Continental, and the consensus concurred, you'd probably risk the money on it. If you had a 1909-S VDB penny, especially in nicer condition, likewise. If you had a coin worth max $40, though...well, you can see the low level of sense there--IF the goal is marketability.