• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Copper Wheat Penny

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I have had this coin tested at a coin shop, and it tested to be copper. Owner advised sending it off for grading. Before I spent or wasted the money, I thought I would try and get some opinions from coin collectors. I put the coin on auction on ebay and it immediately went to $1,000. Ebay removed the listing and told me I could only relist it if it was graded. Just seeking some opinions. Thanks in advance

IMG_2406 (1).jpg

IMG_2407 (1).jpg

I don't think there is any way to determine authenticity of any coin in that shape just from pictures, unless there is something obvious that stands out. If you think it is real, your only option may be to have it authenticated.

1 hour ago, Wondering said:

What do you think of this one?

Considering there is only one 1943-D bronze known to exist and your mint mark is not in the same position, my conclusion is pretty obvious.

The mintmark not being in the same place is meaningless.  If there was a second piece there is no reason to assume it would have gone through the same press while the same die pair was in place.  If they were the result of 1942 planchets getting stuck in hopper carts and then latter breaking loose and mixing with the steel planchets, they could have been in different hoppers, they could have gotten mixed in at different times etc.  I believe the coppers cents from the other mints also come from different die pairs.