• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1780 Austria Maria Theresa

7 posts in this topic

Most of them are modern to somewhat modern copies minted as bullion coins, especially popular in the Horn of Africa. Few Maria Theresias go back, but the date has never been changed. Here is a place you can research the different originals and some of the known replica variants.

It doesn't look like a cheap Chinese fake, can't add more than what JKK said. Otherwise, don't hold your coins like that! It makes me cringe. Your fingerprints will never go away.

OK, testing my sleuthing abilities because I've never dug into these before (and I'm bored). Using JKK's site, the closest yours seems to be to a "real" one is the Venice H41. However, yours is missing denticles and your 8 in 1780 is too low. As such, it seems to be a spot-on match for a Hall missing the punched F, struck in 1983, or a copy of one. There are so many fakes of these, figure out if it's silver first and go from there I guess.

Thaler.jpg

2 hours ago, Jak1 said:

it's Silver, 28.5g

You have had it tested for silver?

That asked, the weight sounds right, since that's about the number of grams in an ounce. One reason these are a popular medium of exchange in semi-anarchic regions like the Yemen and Somalia is they aren't paper money issued by a government that might be dumped, and everyone knows what they consist of. The overwhelming majority of MaTés, as I call them, are modern or semi-modern replicas intended not to hoodwink collectors but to serve as legitimate bullion for commerce. Since they are not the currency of any current government, no country will prosecute/extradite anyone for minting more.

kbb's post was very helpful. If I were you I could blow up both pictures and examine them for fussy details of comparison. Look for straight lines that aren't quite straight, letters that are slightly blundered, nitpicking inconsistencies.

I did not notice more pages under Venice yesterday, so I'll add that it could also be H60 (1945+), H62 (1982+), etc, located here http://theresia.name/cgi-bin/Token.cgi?City=Wien&Page=6

It doesn't seem like a "modern restrike" commands much value (maybe $60-90?) but check sold listings on ebay or Heritage.