• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

English characters chopmarked on Trade Dollars?

10 posts in this topic

Browsing some chopmarked Trade dollar..

I figured out there were some cases when english characters were chopmarked instead of only chinese characters.

Below I posted an example that I've found from a forum in numista.com(https://en.numista.com/forum/topic52795.html)

I recognize 'J' in the middle of multiple chinese characters in this example, but I've seen other english letters on other trade dollars in the same font(found in US trade dollars too)

Were these also just one of the chopmarks that they used in that time by China or are they modern?

choped.jpg

Edited by Glowecco

On 1/8/2020 at 4:59 AM, Glowecco said:

Browsing some chopmarked Trade dollar..

I figured out there were some cases when english characters were chopmarked instead of only chinese characters.

Below I posted an example that I've found from a forum in numista.com(https://en.numista.com/forum/topic52795.html)

I recognize 'J' in the middle of multiple chinese characters in this example, but I've seen other english letters on other trade dollars in the same font(found in US trade dollars too)

Were these also just one of the chopmarks that they used in that time by China or are they modern?

choped.jpg
I once had a coin that was 200 years old. There were English words on it and there were a lot of them. I found english help because a lot of things were not clear, I used https://ca.edubirdie.com/english-help for this. Previously, something mysterious was written on coins. Nowadays people are trying to understand what this means.

Interested in its price?

Edited by davidturner

A mutilated 1899 trade dollar is a bullion item. Paying more for junk is foolish. (Others will disagree.)

As for the Roman alphabet characters, they are later additions (last year...?) and have no meaning in relation to the contemporary chops.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:22 AM, RWB said:

A mutilated 1899 trade dollar is a bullion item. Paying more for junk is foolish. (Others will disagree.)

As for the Roman alphabet characters, they are later additions (last year...?) and have no meaning in relation to the contemporary chops.

I disagree with every point in that post.

A chop-marked British trade dollar will typically sell for at least $50 and sometimes more than $200. So, at a minimum, it is worth double the "melt" value.

The character of the "J" mark, in terms of the wear pattern and patina inside it, indicates that it is likely contemporary with the other Chinese chop marks on the coin.

Many British trade dollars likely passed through Hong Kong where they could have been stamped with English characters for some reason (unknown to me).

On 10/30/2023 at 2:58 AM, dcarr said:

I disagree with every point in that post.

A chop-marked British trade dollar will typically sell for at least $50 and sometimes more than $200. So, at a minimum, it is worth double the "melt" value.

The character of the "J" mark, in terms of the wear pattern and patina inside it, indicates that it is likely contemporary with the other Chinese chop marks on the coin.

Many British trade dollars likely passed through Hong Kong where they could have been stamped with English characters for some reason (unknown to me).

I'm going to agree with D on this one.

On 10/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I'm going to agree with D on this one.

The very BEST you can get from a RWB post is RWB’s sometimes uniquely held OPINION, and typically NOT FACT. The chop marks that are not original are images of Pokémon.  

Edited by VKurtB

Granted, somewhat of a dated post, but chop-marks, I suppose, are interesting  in their own right.

Do they add value to a coin?  If someone chooses to have a particularly uniquely mark example bad enough, he would gladly pay a premium.

A parallel is the serial number on a bank note.  Interesting sequences make it more valuable to those who collect them.  Otherwise, they are worth face.

A gentleman wanted to drill a hole into my large 100 oz t Engelhardt  bar.  I asked him why?  After all it has a high-profile Hallmark, specific specs as well as a precise weight.  I asked him what he planned to do with it.  He lied and said, melt it.  To him it was scrap.  He was from Uzbekistan and I assume he either never saw one before or simply didn't know better.

The chop-marked Trade Dollar is not uncommon.  I believe what RWB articulated is the painful truth.  After all, how can an intentionally damaged coin be worth more?  If it is an interesting mark -- some coins have engraved signatures -- it goes without saying some people would want them badly enough to pay for the privilege of owning one. I suppose the Grand Master and Numismatist of the Year is entitled to express his personally-held view.

A very simple way to squeeze money out of damaged and badly worn Trade dollars is to add fake "chops." Foolish people will then pay more than junk-box $$ for these imitations. Kind of like what the Colorado counterfeiter does to produce fakes.