• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing Grading Services

5 posts in this topic

You are the only one that can answer your question as you have posed it, ask yourself why you would want to change the plastic that your coins are in.  The coins in NCS holders may not be able to graded as those may or may not have been conserved and is quite possible that another TPG will not even grade some or all of those depending on the issues they may have.  We really cant even begin to advise you without knowing what kind of coins and the reason you are considering a change.

Coinbuf, I’m not sure why it’s in this slab. It’s an 1876 S Trade Dollar with a chopmark. I love the history behind the Trade Dollar. Is this something they just won’t grade?

15 minutes ago, Lancek said:

Pics would be helpful too.  I wasn't aware that there are NCS slabs.  I always thought everything they conserved had to go to NGC for grading/slabbing.  As far as chopmarks, you could post that question in the "Ask NGC" section.  They would probably have the best answer for you.

As far as ANACS, I have had a lot of stuff graded by them.  I see no problem.  Are these coins you are looking to sell?  And think you can get more if they are in a NGC holder?

Thanks for the info. Yes, I’m looking to sell most of my collection. I mostly collect Morgan’s, but I also have other coins I bought over the years because I like them. 

15 hours ago, Lancek said:

I wasn't aware that there are NCS slabs.  I always thought everything they conserved had to go to NGC for grading/slabbing.

NCS was the first stand alone conservation service.  While "part" of NGC you could submit to them directly  and it was your choice whther or not for them to send them on to NGC.  It operated for maybe seven years or so before NGC absorbed them back into the company and made them an optional part of NGC grading.  During their "independent" years they had five generations of holder.