• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSNA Show Report- Day 2 (Friday, May 20)

4 posts in this topic

With a note to get out of school, I got to sleep in late today to get to the show by 10:00am. While the weather was miserable, with heavy rain, traffic wasn't too bad, though a bit slower. Since I had done some looking yesterday, and had a general idea of what was available, I went to look more closely today.

First, I noticed a lot of gold. Unfortunately, not a whole lot looked really nice and original... one quarter eagle I picked up was a blazing AU... and way too yellow to be natural. The coins that looked most consistently original were circulated gold pieces, which weren't too hard to find. Indeed, I saw a huge number of mintmarked gold (namely D and C)... many more than I usually see at a show, albeit I've never paid close attention at one of the major shows I've been to. For the mintmarked gold, there were coins ranging from AG to MS, and most looked quite nice. Two high reliefs were also at the show, and both were beauties to behold.

There was also an abundance of more modern type coins--babers and later. Many circulated pieces, though, just didn't look dark enough to me--whether it's because my taste is such that I like a really dark one, or perhaps because they really weren't all that nice. Some, though, had incredible looks, and were pleasures to see. Nothing, though, was captivating enough for me to buy in this department.

As much as I noticed the above, I also noticed the lack of some coins. Toned pieces were almost impossible to find--even morgans with nice color were extremely few and far between. In addition, proof Indians seemed to be very scarce at the show--maybe I saw five or six total, and none with any interesting color to them--at least not flamboyant. Bill Nagle, whom I met yesterday, had a few nice ones with some light, but very attractive color. His table was by far the most colorful, and it was a pleasure to meet him and talk with him.

As far as traffic went, it wasn't as busy as I had expected. Perhaps the weather kept some off the highways, but it really didn't seem as busy as last year. That said, there was some more noise filling the bourse, compared to yesterday, when I just stopped to listen. I overheard one dealer say, though, that business was much slower today than yesterday.

Over the course of the day, I found it nice to sit down and talk with a few people. I spent a lot of time with Bill Shamhart, and saw some incredible and unique items--and learned a bit about them, as well. As with yesterday, his advice was very valuable, and taken right to heart. I believe, with what he said today, I nearly instantly became a pickier buyer. Of course, the only coin I did get today was from him wink.gif. I'll post pictures later, but it's an MS63 baber quarter with extremely original color. Like the two pieces I got yesterday, it's no monster, but just couldn't be more original. Bill also covered for lunch, which included some great cheesecake from the food stand... really, really good cheesecake! I must have spent a few hours sitting and talking with him. I also spent some time talking about copper with Doug Bird right before I left.

All-in-all, it wasn't a bad show, as the knowledge I acquired was probably far more valuable than the three coins I picked up. I think it's important to always remember that you can always learn more.

Jeremy

Thanks for the great report. Do the dealers you spoke with feel that business has just shifted from the bourse (lower attendance) to the internet and preexisting established clients? Or are things slowing overall at the retail level? Or are clients who bought 4 commons now just taking in fewer shows and saving up for that one expensive special example? I notice several shows reports with lower attendance.

Morgannut,

No one has said specifically what the problem is--Bill Shamhart, for example, whom I was with most of the time, said he didn't really think of the show as a selling show. At least compared to the monthly show that's a bit closer to me, this show is, in general, slower... since many dealers set up at both places, it's quite possible that they are doing a simple comparison.

Jeremy