• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Before Placing Coin in 2x2

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding storage of coins. I am going to start going through my collection and begin placing them in non-PVC flips and then putting those in a pocketed page binder for storage. My question is how do I rid any of the coins of debris (fingerprints, any dirt, etc) prior to the archives of these coins. Some of my older pieces, I will be putting in hard plastic 2x2. I just don't want to store them with a fingerprint oils in an air tight capsule.

I heard possibly alcohol, clean water only? I know that cleaning coins is a taboo act for the most part and i'm not trying to do that. ONLY clear finger prints or oils that can damage the coins over time. Any help would be great.

-Mike

Welcome to the Forum

As far as I know, there one no way to clean a fingerprint from a coin.

If you want to clean any oil or grime from a coin, soak in acetone for a day and rinse with water.

Thanks Greenstag, Glad to be apart of the Forum

Wouldn't that destroy the value?

If there isn't a safe way to do it, then I won't.

How does everyone else prep their coins for long term storage and a permanent home in a capsule

Edited by Mike106

Wouldn't that destroy the value?

No. As Lancek stated, acetone is perfectly fine.

I usually give my raw coins a dip before storing them to remove any oils or gunk that may have accumulated. It does nothing to destroy the value.