• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth getting graded

11 posts in this topic

If it is a D/D mintmark it would be worth it, if not no as you would need at least a 66+FS to be worth the cost of grading and this coin will not grade that high.  I do not think it is a D/D but cannot blow up the mintmark enough (also that area of the rev is slightly out of focus) to say for sure.

Edited to add: Yes it has some value as it is a full step reverse, how much value I cannot say for sure as I don't follow the Jefferson nickel series.  As a guess I'm thinking $10-$15, more if it is a D/D.

Edited by Coinbuf

From the close up of the mintmark I do not see a D/D so just a really nice condition nickel, there for sure is someone out there that would love to have this for an album.  A goldish hue is not all that uncommon on coins, over time metal reacts with its surroundings and changes color depending on what it has been in contact with.  I have several Jefferson nickels that also have a golden tone to them, coins that have developed some color can be very pleasing to view or in some cases not very attractive; yours is very attractive so enjoy.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

From the close up of the mintmark I do not see a D/D so just a really nice condition nickel, there for sure is someone out there that would love to have this for an album.  A goldish hue is not all that uncommon on coins, over time metal reacts with its surroundings and changes color depending on what it has been in contact with.  I have several Jefferson nickels that also have a golden tone to them, coins that have developed some color can be very pleasing to view or in some cases not very attractive; yours is very attractive so enjoy.

Thank you so very much for your answer..I appreciate your knowledge as I'm just learning...

2 minutes ago, Lisae228 said:

Thank you so very much for your answer..I appreciate your knowledge as I'm just learning...

What makes a coin get a blue tint? I got 2  Mercury dimes that have a blue tint.. They look fake...I hope they are not.. not sure how to tell I'll post a picture of them. 

20 minutes ago, Lisae228 said:

What makes a coin get a blue tint? I got 2  Mercury dimes that have a blue tint.. They look fake...I hope they are not.. not sure how to tell I'll post a picture of them. 

CollageMaker_20191215_213819618~2.jpg

20 hours ago, Lisae228 said:

Excellent article that @Revenant posted will explain the process very well.  As to your two dimes they look perfectly fine just have some tarnish on them which may have been the result of long term storage in an album.  They are very common dates and not very likely to be fakes, wouldn't be worth the time for a counterfeiter to try and fake these.

16 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Excellent article that @Revenant posted will explain the process very well.  As to your two dimes they look perfectly fine just have some tarnish on them which may have been the result of long term storage in an album.  They are very common dates and not very likely to be fakes, wouldn't be worth the time for a counterfeiter to try and fake these.

Thanks y'all