• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976-D bicentennial quarter

12 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anyone could give me any info on a 1976-D bicentennial quarter that appears to have an obverse type of 1952-1959 where liberty is very far from washingtons head,especially the BER.sorry Im not sure how to put pics on.any one ever heard of one like this.any info is appreciated.thank you

Spoiler

.sorry.

IMG_20191207_141719.jpg

IMG_20191210_171827.jpg.477786dec15e1a46ba9a7e7bc005c2b7.jpgIMG_20191210_171827.jpg.477786dec15e1a46ba9a7e7bc005c2b7.jpgIMG_20191210_171740.thumb.jpg.e2d0d1cef4bb75f051350438ffdd1385.jpg

Edited by Coinsrgreat
Better pics

Can't really see how that is possible but we will need photos to say for sure.

To upload a photo, open reply to this topic.  At the bottom left there is a paper clip, click on choose files, select your photo from whatever file you have your pictures stored and click. The image should appear underneath. It will automatically be downloaded when you click "Submit Reply"

Coinsrgreat-

I did reply to your first email but just noticed it was not delivered.

I cropped and enhanced your second photos to make it more legible.

Are you sure the Mint Marks are both "D", because I believe there is a slight difference between the Nickel and the Silver Clad coins but the Silver Clad has a S Mint Mark, not a D.

IMG_2.jpg

17 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Coinsrgreat-

I did reply to your first email but just noticed it was not delivered.

I cropped and enhanced your second photos to make it more legible.

Are you sure the Mint Marks are both "D", because I believe there is a slight difference between the Nickel and the Silver Clad coins but the Silver Clad has a S Mint Mark, not a D.

IMG_2.jpg

I was also going to highlight the color difference. The one on the left seems lighter which makes me think it is not Copper-Nickel clad. 

Coinsrgreat - 

Please correspond on this post. Two reasons, one I can't seem to be able to return your email and second I would like others to be able to join in on thid post. I'm not really sure exactly what is going on but without larger clearer pictures that can show all the detail, it is going to hard to define if there is a variation. If you crop your pictures, that will also enlarge them.

Coinsrgreat-

I'm sorry but even with your newest pictures, I still can't figure out what is going on. If by some chance there was a different die, then there would be 100's of thousands of them struck  making it a variety. Other than that I don't have an answer. Maybe someone else can help out.

Where does this " obverse type of 1952-1959 " come from, anyway? I don't see it listed online anywhere. Cherrypickers shows 3 obverse alterations, all in 1934. If you zoom in on first image posted, to me it's clearly a D. It's been almost a week; I don't think the OP is coming back.

I had a couple IMs with @Coinsrgreat so I'll attempt to help them out a little. Yes, I can see a minuscule difference in the distance from Washington to Liberty on some other 1976-D & S coins online, and then further into the 1970s. I don't know what the significance is or whether it's precisely what they're talking about. Die state, die polish, an actual difference in design, not sure, not really inspired to dig into it more.

1976_1978.jpg