• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1989 S Bicentennial of the Gongress .50

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1989 S Bicentennial of the Congress 50 Cent Coin.

As seen below, this coin was only supposed to be minted at one site. NGS lists the 1989 D, but the 1989 S. I was trying to assess the value of the 1989 S. (Mint Condition)

The first U. S. Congress to convene under the federal constitution ratified in 1789 took its seats that very same year. To mark the bicentennial of this significant event, a bill was signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on November 17, 1988 which provided for the minting of up to four million copper-nickel-clad half dollars, up to three million silver dollars and up to one million gold half eagles. These coins were to be issued in both proof and uncirculated finishes, though the law specified that none of the six resulting varieties could be produced at more than one minting facility. It also set an ending date of June 30, 1990 for the manufacture of these coins, though omitted was any limit to how long they could be sold.

My email address is: rjlowell@hotmail.com.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Denver coined the Uncirculated edition of the half dollar, and San Francisco coined the Proof edition. If you have a 1989-S, it is a Proof.