• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Report: GSNA Show, Day 1 (Thursday 5/19)

6 posts in this topic

I left school as quickly as possible after an in-school concert to get to the GSNA show, which is the largest show in NJ, held yearly. I got out half an hour after I had originally planned (I didn't know we had the concert until last week), but I got to the show only a few minutes after it opened. First, I met with Andy Lustig, and we chatted for a little bit. He headed off, and I headed in.

I spent a good amount of time walking around the bourse, just getting an idea of what was there. I also ran into Mark Hotz, who is one of the YN chaperones at the ANA Summer Seminar (and lives a town over from where I'm moving in MD), whom I didn't know would be at the show. It was a pleasure to be able to talk with him for a little while, especially since the weather outside was so nice.

As I was walking, I kept running into different people, and found more enjoyment in talking than buying. The bourse, though, didn't seem crowded at all--at one point, I really noticed the noise level, because it was not as loud as most shows. My guess is tomorrow will be busier, simply because it is closer to the weekend, and a full-day show, whereas today opened in the afternoon. One dealer, though, I did overhear saying that this show has been much better than last year.

The first coin I purchased came from a dealer who also sets up at the local show. He brings quite a few of the double row Intercept Shield boxes full of slabs, and I looked thorough all of them (6 full ones, I believe). I went to the table to tell Mike Cali (commemdude) something, and then stayed to look at the boxes. Mike had just looked through the commems, so I figured I wasn't going to find any nicely toned ones... then I found an 1893 PCGS MS64 in the wrong box laugh.gif Gorgeous original color on both sides, and I was advised it's a good coin to try again with to see if I can get it into a 65 holder... we'll see laugh.gif

Another "interesting" coin of note was a PCGS MS70FS SMS 1997 5c. I saw it, and commented "ooh, 70... must be perfect" or something to that effect. The dealer made a joke, and I said I'd look for some imperfection. Within about 3 seconds, though, I found, with my naked eye, three spots on the obverse, and I didn't even look at the reverse blush.gif. Oh, well.

The other really great part of the day was sitting down and talking with Bill Shamhart (njcoincrank). I saw lots of incredible coins (and I found a die crack he hadn't seen on a McKinley gold dollar in 66CAM--a $25k coin--which made me happy, since I've missed a lot of huge die cracks in the past... and needed a loupe to confirm this one... since there were only 100 produced, it's hard to believe the die would have broken). I was also fortunate to talk with Bill long enough to gain some great advice, both for life and coins. While looking through my type set, his compliments really made me feel good about it. Also, his encouraging me to tell the story of how I acquired some of the coins reminded me about how special some of them are to me--coins that I will never, ever sell.

Before I left, I found one other coin, a very lustrous ANACS MS65 1949-S BTW half with a little bit of peripheral color. Just a really eye appealing coin. Tomorrow will likely be my last day at the show (which ends Saturday), so I'll be looking forward to spending some more, and possibly walking home with a higher-value coin than I'd usually purchase. Pictures will come within the next few days, I hope.

Jeremy

Good report, Jeremy!

As for the McKinley gold $, the die crack wouldn't be all that surprising to me. The pressure exerted to produce the proofs is much, much greater than ordinary issues, and the die becomes more prone to metal fatigue.

You didn't happen to come across any '98-O DMPL Morgans, did you? devil.gif

Chris

PS. When do you expect to make the transition to MIT, if you haven't already?

Great show report! grin.gif

I am going to try to make it there tomorrow, not sure if I will be able to or not :\

Of course since I know you have cherry picked through everything at least my wallet will be safe if I do make it! wink.gif

People who live near places that have shows are so lucky. We don't even have a coin store in our town. Just a pawn shop that calls itself a coin shop with buckets of crappy over-circulated coins. Great report on the show... at least I can live vicariously through your report. Thank you for writing.

People who live near places that have shows are so lucky. We don't even have a coin store in our town. Just a pawn shop that calls itself a coin shop with buckets of crappy over-circulated coins. Great report on the show... at least I can live vicariously through your report. Thank you for writing.

Where in Florida?

Chris