• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1892 S Barber quarter mm identification

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It could be an S, but it's impossible to tell from the photo. Here's an example of that issue in a high grade for comparison:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/barber-quarters-1892-1916-pscid-36/1892-s-25c-ms-coinid-15603

I think it's just random corrosion and damage that happens to vaguely look like an S. The gashes and pit forming the imaginary S are the same as other gashes and pits in the surrounding area, and relative to the G4 example below, it's too indistinct versus the R (i.e. I don't see how the S could selectively wear like that), it's too far left, the bottom of the S would overlap the R when there should be a gap, it looks more like a 5 to me, etc. In that condition it's at most a $40 coin anyway, so not worth getting a TPG opinion I think.

1892-S_25.jpg

Our brains have a very strong desire to make stuff into something it isn't, especially visually. Look at the G4 on the right. There are three tiny Ds between the R and the D. Did the mint put them there? No, of course not. I try to force my brain to look a stuff like this in the context of everything else. How would the S become so indistinct while the R is still so definite? Etc.

Well jeez, there weren't any quarters minted in San Francisco in 1906. I try to be helpful on here but wasting my (and others') time is frustrating, i.e. it seems like you knew, or should have known, that it couldn't be an S to begin with.

OK, I apologize for my tone. But when you put 1892 in the title, and give no indication that the coin is actually 1906, you lead everyone down a rabbit hole. Lots of people on here could have quickly told you that it's not an 1892 reverse if that was what you were after.