• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a Zombie Nickle

12 posts in this topic

The look on ol' TJ's face just disturbs me. It's a classic Jamie Franki design. Great speaker, Jamie is. He gave a great presentation at the ANA Rosemont. He fought off cancer but he lost his magnificent hair. He's now sporting the bald look. At his (and my) age, it looks better than a two-foot ponytail anyway.

16 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

He gave a great presentation at the ANA Rosemont

Any chance that his presentation was recorded somewhere? 

17 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

two-foot ponytail anyway.

I tried the pony tail thing in my teens and never got it bigger than a few inches. I prefer the clean crew cut look. 

4 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

Any chance that his presentation was recorded somewhere? 

I tried the pony tail thing in my teens and never got it bigger than a few inches. I prefer the clean crew cut look. 

I am pretty sure www.cointelevision.com has the talk on DVD. Or if you're an ANA member, they will lend it to you from their library.

31 minutes ago, Dukemnm said:

I've been thinking about that membership, what are some of the benefits other than what is state don the website? I was looking into it last night.

I checked cointelevision.com last night and he doesn't have the August 2019 stuff ready yet. He cleans them up really nice. ANA. The lending library is numero uno. There are Hertz discounts, the numismatic insurance is really good and affordable. Free admission to all ANA shows. Discounts on major teaching seminars. A say in how the ANA is run - you merely have to speak up, and I'm not shy about speaking up. The Numismatist is the best non-ad-dominated magazine in the hobby, bar none. Lots of scholarship. And the neatest of all is the ability to direct submit coins to NGC as a free benefit of membership (no credits to use for slabbing though).

I use the insurance, the Hertz discounts, the library, and I go to EVERY ANA show, every site, every year, twice a year. The greater Philly area is hard to beat for cheap airfares to everywhere. I have six or seven "home airports" from which to choose for cheaper fares. I have flown out of JFK, EWR, PHL, MDT, TTN, BWI and even PIT. Soon, I'll add LNC.

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

direct submit coins to NGC as a free benefit of membership

I do see where you slabbed coins say ANA in them and I must say, I really like that. 

5 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

no credits to use for slabbing though

Does this mean, I don't have to pay membership fees to NGC? hence no slabbing credits? but ANA membership does get you discounts? BTW, I just ordered my new Delaware reverse proof. just bought one. lets see if I get lucky and score another PF70 when I sent it in. :D

Just now, Dukemnm said:

I do see where you slabbed coins say ANA in them and I must say, I really like that. 

These tend to be offered only for coins purchased onsite at their shows. Same for Baltimore Whitman, I think.

2 minutes ago, Dukemnm said:

Does this mean, I don't have to pay membership fees to NGC? hence no slabbing credits? but ANA membership does get you discounts? BTW, I just ordered my new Delaware reverse proof. just bought one. lets see if I get lucky and score another PF70 when I sent it in. :D

If your NGC membership is through the ANA, there are no slabbing credits; you pay the regular charge for all submissions, but you can lose the annual fee to NGC. I've found paying NGC for the second highest tier of membership just works for me.

13 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

paying NGC for the second highest tier of membership just works for me.

That is what I currently have and I was thinking of upgrading next year, only because i have some Walkthroughs to submit. plus 10% off on submissions would be good. I'm still debating. I may try the monthly ANA see how I like it. 

1 minute ago, Dukemnm said:

That is what I currently have and I was thinking of upgrading next year, only because i have some Walkthroughs to submit. plus 10% off on submissions would be good. I'm still debating. I may try the monthly ANA see how I like it. 

If you search out old solid date rolls of coins, having the right to do bulk submissions of them, with a minimum grade for slabbing, sounds intriguing to me for when I retire. Bulk submissions is only at Elite.