• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oxidation

3 posts in this topic

Is there any way to deal with oxidation on a coin so that it wont be labeled as a "cleaned" or "altered"? 

Reason I ask, I have some coins that were

stored and have oxidation covering the doubled die lines and visual significance. Just curious and open to any pointers or advice.

If the "oxidation" is heavy enough to hide the Doubled die features then it is almost certainly far enough gone that if it is remove the coin will show corroded surfaces.

Corrosion is awful. If it is present, the coin is already damaged. The question is to what degree - which should tell you what you should do next. I have no experience with DD - I just don't find it interesting - so if what you describe is corrosion obscuring the DD then the damage may be so severe there is no premium left on the coin.

Before you give up - are you certain what you have is corrosion? You mention the coins being "stored" but not what kind of coins and what kind of storage. If the coins were stored in plastic of any sort, check for PVC damage first - it would be greenish, like verdigris. If it is in fact PVC damage and not corrosion, you've got a good shot that a professional can remove it without damaging the value of the coin.