• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Undocumented variation for Doubled die

7 posts in this topic

I found a known doubled die coin that has an extra , upper-top portion of a "Y" at the end of "LIBERTY". I assumed that it would be a known variety but there is nothing covering the extra portion of a letter for this specific DD. I checked Variety Vista, Coppercoins and a few others, found nothing. 

Is this significant in raising the value of the coin or is it something that takes away from it?

23F25F5E-8268-4E47-8B19-9D3AB8F7B701.jpeg.5991a354328afc4a7fb60ecf770c378a.jpegD2CD6807-4BE1-4660-B5CB-316824616A39.thumb.jpeg.55051b2a528d5333554719ba937b4271.jpeg

Looks like it is just damage. A DD would not be that far away from the letter.

Also why would you not want to post a full picture, it is necessary for us to help you by having as much information about the coin as possible.

"Y" does it automatically have to be damage if no resource can be found for it?

But I'm guessing you didn't find nothing on it because there is no information or image confirming your opinion for the identical partial "Y".

I didn't want to post a full picture, because it wasn't relevant. I wasn't asking for an educated guess on the price. I just wanted to know if it impacted the significance of the coin or not. But it's ok, I wanted to get rid of it. Thanks for your inputE63E1CE4-466A-4A3A-95E2-3C0DE7C7DCFE.thumb.jpeg.7074a88919dd5c924ec1982a4e50d2d2.jpeg

Price? one cent.  The pictures are not in focus but it looks like damage, and if it is a DDO the pictures aren't good enough for me to see it.  So from what I can see, one cent.