• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roll of Morgans

7 posts in this topic

Could I ask for some advice?  

I have a roll of Morgan Silver dollars that is wrapped in a "The State Bank and Trust Co, Carson City, NV" it has two "cc" coins on the end (see photos).

Would it be better to just put the roll in the safe and keep it or break the coins out and send them in for grading?

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

Welcome to the forum.

"Better" is a relative term, and its ultimate meaning will have to be decided by you. It will depend, among other things, on whether you need to sell the coins soon, whether they were passed down as part of an inheritance, whether your curiosity is getting the best of you, whether you think there might be some rare coins in the roll, and/or whether you intend to pass the coins down to your heirs.

Just an observation: The two coins pictured look rather nice, and, if the other coins are as well preserved, you might have some higher grade coins in there. 

There is no way to tell from the pictures if it is, in fact,  an original bank wrapped roll, (not doubting your word here- it's just that I have seen counterfeiters fake items with far less value) but one thing is certain: Once you open it, it will never again be an original roll. That would influence my decision, personally.

I realize that none of this is of any help, so I will tell you what I would do in this situation. I would hold on to the roll at least for a while, because I know that I would probably never own another one like it.

Good luck.

thank you for advice.  My itchy fingers want to unroll the coins and send them in, but my practical side says keep them in the safe and that is what I am going to do for now.

Paper rolls of this style don't exist until some time after 1919.  The State Bank and Trust Company didn't have that name until 1903, and the bank closed in 1907.  This roll is almost certainly one of the modern fabrications commonly seen on ebay with a CC on each end (typically an 1882, 3 or 4) and 18 non-MS dollars in between.

I'm with Condor101. It would help to know how you obtained this roll. If it was ebay (or similar) and sold as an "unsearched roll", chances are pretty good that it was seeded with CC's on the ends and junk in between.