• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lightly cleaned seated half can get graded MS63 ?

2 posts in this topic

I once asked a knowledgeable dealer to view a seated half doller graded MS63 by ANACS whitch was auctioned by one of the major auction house and the dealer got back to me saying something like "It's lightly cleaned, but nice"

Another day, I asked a question to eBay seller who was auctioning seated half in MS63 graded by NGC. The seller was honest enough to tell me that it was lightly cleaned. I'm not good at grading and I haven't viewed either of those seated halves so I can't judge myself, but do you often grade 19th centry coins with light cleaning as high as MS63? How about MS64 or higher? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

At NGC we do not holder any pieces that are improperly cleaned. A common misnomer in numismatics is interchanging terms in describing coins and their individual characteristics, and this could certainly be a possibility in the case you describe. What many persons refer to as light cleaning is in many cases just light hairlines that are a result of a history of mishandling, and/or improperly stored pieces. Light hairlines are certainly acceptable in the MS63 grade range, and are often what differentiates these coins from a higher graded coin.