• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 S plating question

6 posts in this topic

1st pic is of a 1999 D that had been sanded and shows appearance of strike on the zinc metal.

2nd pic is of a 1983 S Presidential Prestige Set that shows same appearance as the 1999 D. I apologize for the poor quality of pic but unplated letters in GOD appear exactly like the letters on the 1999 D letters in Liberty. I know about the plating issues with the zinc but if the letters GOD that are plated were sanded would there be a second strike with the same appearance as the unplated letters GOD? And if so would that make it a doubled die?

Thanks for any information

20190927_150939.jpg

20190928_093108.jpg

Edited by Frank040959

What you are seeing on the proof Lincoln is called Plating Split-Doubling, Split-Line Doubling, or Split Plate (or Plating) Doubling. It is caused by a weakening and stretching of the copper plating during striking, resulting in a tear in the plating, which exposes the zinc core. The theory is that, during the strike, the copper plating catches on the edge of the incuse design or lettering of the die, which weakens that area, and causes it to tear as the plating is being stretched by the force of the strike.

So say if the plating was removed from the 1983 S Lincoln would the zinc metal show just one strike of the letters that show the doubling as is seen? My pic of the close up is really bad and will try and post a better one because the characteristics of bare metal letters are exactly the same as on the 1999 D.

If I understand your question, you are asking if there would be doubled lettering if the copper plating was removed. There would most likely be no doubling evident, or if there was anything visible, it might show a very slight appearance of  doubling caused by the stretching of the copper plating distorting the surface.

Thank you because I was really confused as to how the plating process works. I now understand that the stretching can give image of raised lettering. Pretty amazing that it can give the same appearance considering the distance. Thank you again for my understanding of anomalies is novice at best.