• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clad presidential dollar

9 posts in this topic

I found a presidential dollar that has a pewter color without any gold. The side is just a sandwich of dull copper and nickel. The presidential dollar was only sold by special mint strike in sets so I’m a little confused. Any help on what I might have here? These pictures are with flash. Here’s two with no flash 

CDCA2E8D-DFD3-47D3-9B4F-F08F674D9E4C.jpeg

294B5D9C-0631-4F6D-8F22-B92285F68E32.jpeg

Edited by Ratzie33

"The presidential dollar was only sold by special mint strike in sets"

NO, this is NOT correct. The first 16 Presidential dollars at least, it could be 20, were indeed released into the regular banking system for circulation. Your JQA is exactly what a circulated one should look like.

Edited by VKurtB

The presidential dollar was only sold by special mint strike in sets

Only the coins with a "S" MM were made for the Mint Sets. Any Presidential Dollar with a "D" or "P" MM was made for circulation so what you have is probably circulation toning. They are made of over 88% copper so toning would be natural.

1 minute ago, Greenstang said:

Only the coins with a "S" MM were made for the Mint Sets. Any Presidential Dollar with a "D" or "P" MM was made for circulation so what you have is probably circulation toning. They are made of over 88% copper so toning would be natural.

This is not true either. P and D Prezzys were in mInt sets for all of them and for circulation of the first half or so. Only the S was in proof sets.

This is not true either. P and D Prezzys were in mInt sets for all of them and for circulation of the first half or so. Only the S was in proof sets.

Your right of course, meant to say Proof Sets as they are a Proof Coin, must have been looking at the OP's write up where he said Mint Set..

Edited by Greenstang
Added copy

A guy I used to work with, but who retired, had a Lincoln Presidential Dollar he carried every day as a pocket piece, just to see how it would wear. The copper edge of the inner layer eventually became really obvious. The lettering much less so.

13 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Did it turn a silverish color?  The Washington I carried went through a couple of color changes but eventually developed a silverish color.

I can't say it did, Conder. It was obviously fiddled with a lot, and colorwise it just looked like any circulated small dollar in a city that uses them in their transit systems. (CalTran is it?)