• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1853 large cent

5 posts in this topic

Large cents from the 1850s were sometimes weakly struck, and I think that may account for at least some of the lack of detail in the center of the stars. There is just a bit more wear than I like to see on the hair and leaves for a 40, though. It may grade EF at one of the services, but, honestly, if I were putting it in my collection, I would write VF-35 on the label.

12 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Large cents from the 1850s were sometimes weakly struck, and I think that may account for at least some of the lack of detail in the center of the stars. There is just a bit more wear than I like to see on the hair and leaves for a 40, though. It may grade EF at one of the services, but, honestly, if I were putting it in my collection, I would write VF-35 on the label.

Agreed.

There also seems to be a little active verdigris going on, particularly around the stars. I'd try to chemically arrest that business.