• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bag marks...

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1878 Morgan Dollar with a small bag mark on the obverse side and unfortunately it’s in a focal area. I know Morgan’s are commonly affected by these due to how they were handled and stored back in the day. Otherwise the coin is very nice IMO. 

My question is how prominent a role this small mark will play during the grading process? Will I get a details label for it? Will it just cost me a grade? The coin is at NGC now and I tell myself it’s too late to worry about it but it’s still on my mind. 

I’ve included a pick with the bag mark extending from her jaw. Any opinions or advice especially from those who have been through this would be great.

7A8FE3E7-E79F-49AB-A432-A69CE539A988.jpeg

I see nothing here that would cause a Details grade, unless it would be on the reverse. I also don't see an ultra-high grade here. Based on what I see here, and I usually never do any guesses from photos, my current guess would be an MS63.

Thanks for your reply and insight on the coin. I’ve got NCS working on it also but I know there’s no guarantee that will change anything grade wise. A fair grade is my hope whatever the graders decide. It is reassuring to have a second opinion that the coin won’t be arbitrarily detailed and dismissed.

This is the reverse, sorry I know the pics aren’t great.

4EA51E40-1D29-485D-A42B-ED3DE011DE95.jpeg

On 9/10/2019 at 9:46 AM, Just Bob said:

When I saw this on my phone, my first reaction was MS61. Looking at the pictures on my laptop does not change my opinion. Let us know how you make out.

And Kurt figured that the coin would ring in around MS63. The final result is MS62, that says you guys know your stuff and again I appreciate your advice.