• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 quarter error?

13 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forum

First you have posted this in the wrong Forum, maybe one of the mods can move it.

Secondly, that is just a well worn and circulated coin.  PMD. (Post Minting Damage) Worth face value.

It is only an error if it happens during the striking of the coin, anything else is classed as damage.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

I've only seen one other coin that looked roughly like this, but of a different denomination. It had spent several days in a rock tumbler machine.

Okay, then a VERY long time in a stream or river with lots of "stuff" in it. Certainly no mint error. When you think about it, what is a rock tumbler? It is a machine that accelerates what happens in a stream.

Edited by VKurtB

I think it was soaked in an acidic cleaner and partly eaten away. Bet if you weighed it, you'd find it way underweight.

IF the brown gunk was anything resembling good old fashioned soil, I'm still leaning toward a stream coin. Otherwise, acid is as good a choice as any. Except the remaining sharp obverse scratches bother me either way.

Edited by VKurtB