• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does one tell if a coin is cleaned

4 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Physiologic Measurement Systems said:

I sent in a Morgan silver dollar to be graded. It came back as cleaned, I did not do it. Is there a way to save cost of grading,shipping,handing of a coin that you would not want graded if you knew it was cleaned?

can i see it?

The only way is to learn to examine the coin for the signs of cleaning. There are two main avenues of cleaning: abrasive and chemical. I'm no expert, but my experience with the abrasive cleaning is that it tends to show under a microscope (I believe most serious collectors end up acquiring one), either as lateral scratches or rotary ones, leaving an unnatural color that is inconsistent with the coin's wear. For example, a flat-worn Mercury dime that is a brilliant polished blast white is almost surely cleaned. With chemicals, I know less about that, but they also can leave an unnatural color. They can also leave a residue, since bad cleaners often don't fully clean off all the chemical.

I guess I'd say that your best defense against unpleasant "cleaned" outcomes is to look at enough cleaned and uncleaned coins so that the cleaned ones tend to contrast. That will take experience.

I know I come off sounding like a broken record here, but the answer is in BOOKS. Real, dead tree pulp with ink on it BOOKS. "Winging it" is really a bad idea. This is a hobby that requires STUDY to avoid mistakes. You really have to get out and look at thousands and thousands of coins, and NOT just pictures of coins.