• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible 1892 micro O half dollar

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I am addressing this forum with a question regarding a coin my Son had purchased for his Barber half collection. He initially found the coin in a box of multiple Barber halves and with his birthday money, his 14th, he attempted to purchase it. The broker that we dealt with looked up the price for the coin but saw that there is a variant for that year, a micro O. Unable to verify it the premises he sent it to his personal authenticator. After about a month of returning to the dealer on numerous occasions he finally had gotten the coin back and was told by his authenticator that the coin was not of the micro O variety. However his "guy" attempted to purchase the coin from him but was told that it was already promised to my Son...

Upon getting home and placing the coin with his collection he noticed that the O was, in his opinion, smaller than the rest of the other O's in his collection, he then asked me to take a look, and to me it definitely is smaller. He does not have another 1892 O to compare it to so I was wondering if I could get some feedback from the community of collectors and pro's about this dilemma, here is the 1892 O and another New Orleans from his collection for visual reference, thanks in advance, you guys are awesome!

20190801_214618.jpg

20190801_214635.jpg

Sorry, that is a regular O. You have to compare it to the same date.

Here is a photo of both for comparison. Note the left side of the Micro O is thinner than the right side.

1892 Micro O.jpg

If both of the coins in that last comparison image are 1892 O's then I think he has a good chance of it being a micro O.  Is there is a third size mintmark for that year.

Edited by Conder101

There was only one micro O die used in producing the less than 100 strikes. The thin left side on the O is the marker identifying a micro O which does not appear on the OP's coin. Here is another photo from Heritage showing the same style O.

untitled.thumb.png.64262be1043df6b3039466b74de3f736.png

untitled.png

Edited by Greenstang
Change copy