• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify what these coins are worth? (As early as low 1700s or earlier)

12 posts in this topic

Hello, since there are a lot of images, I've put them in a google drive folder so I didn't exceed the upload limit. Part of this collection is my own, most of the foreign stuff belonged to my great grandparents who collected them in their vast travels. My grandfather collected most of the early lincoln and indian head cents (including the 1909 and 1931 coins). If you know what even one of these may be worth, let me know! I also cannot identify the ones in the Unknown folder. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PO_om90rMWwJGMwglRfueA4bOxvdVpcV?usp=sharing

Edited by Nate Olson

You might look most of them up on here. Figure those numbers to be high book, and by no means guaranteed relevant, but a starting point. Dealers might pay a quarter of those figures, depending.

I will weigh in on one: the Alfred Willard  Jewelry and Perfumery Hard Times Token is from 1835, and is worth $20-$25 in that condition, assuming the reverse (not shown) is in the same shape as the obverse.

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

I will weigh in on one: the Alfred Willard  Jewelry and Perfumery Hard Times Token is from 1835, and is worth $20-$25 in that condition, assuming the reverse (not shown) is in the same shape as the obverse.

The reverse is actually in better shape!

51 minutes ago, JKK said:

You might look most of them up on here. Figure those numbers to be high book, and by no means guaranteed relevant, but a starting point. Dealers might pay a quarter of those figures, depending.

I'm sorry I don't really understand the coin lingo yet :))

4 hours ago, Nate Olson said:

I'm sorry I don't really understand the coin lingo yet :))

If you will tell me what you don't understand, I can explain it.

I might be able to help a bit with the photos supplied. Hard to give a value when there is only one side shown on most and can't really tell the condition.

In the "Unknown Folder" , I can only make out the images of the first two, #1672 & #1673, these are from Great Britain,

On the Canadian coins, the 3 Vickies have numerous varieties so clear pictures of both sides are needed to determine value.

The 1918 & 1920 might be worth a couple of dollars each, depending on condition.

The 1932 to 1944 cents don't have much value, maybe 15-25c each.

The 1965 dime is silver so worth bullion.

The 1965 Nickel is only worth face value.

The 1973 Quarter is only worth face value..

If you have others that you think might have some value, post clear photos of both sides.

Edited by Greenstang
Change copy

14 hours ago, EmiCoins said:

Does the 1909 s cent have a VDB on the bottom reverse?

I don't believe so. There is a subfolder under US with detailed magnified photos of the 1909 cents.

13 hours ago, Greenstang said:

I might be able to help a bit with the photos supplied. Hard to give a value when there is only one side shown on most and can't really tell the condition.

In the "Unknown Folder" , I can only make out the images of the first two, #1672 & #1673, these are from Great Britain,

On the Canadian coins, the 3 Vickies have numerous varieties so clear pictures of both sides are needed to determine value.

The 1918 & 1920 might be worth a couple of dollars each, depending on condition.

The 1932 to 1944 cents don't have much value, maybe 15-25c each.

The 1965 dime is silver so worth bullion.

The 1965 Nickel is only worth face value.

The 1973 Quarter is silver so worth bullion.

If you have others that you think might have some value, post clear photos of both sides.

If you would like photos of specific coins, I would be happy to take some for you, I just didn't want to overcrowd that folder. I'm also not sure what a Vicky is, sorry! I also don't think that quarter is silver...

Edited by Nate Olson

7 hours ago, Greenstang said:

"Vickies" are the 3 Large Queen Victoria one cent coins.

I'm putting photos up of those now. Are the 1918 and 1920 large cents not considered "Vickies"? I believe that quarter is nickel as well.

Edited by Nate Olson

3 hours ago, Nate Olson said:

Are the 1918 and 1920 large cents not considered "Vickies"?

No they would not be because Queen Victoria died in 1901 and Edward the VII began appearing on the large cents until he died in 1910 then George V finished out the large cents.

Your right about the quarter, I edited my post yesterday but I guess it was too late. Don't know what I was thinking.

As far as the Vickies go, they are all pretty common.

The 1988 is worth about $3-4.00 (4 Million minted)

The 1891 & 1892 are worth about $8-10.00 each.