• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some thoughts from the grading class

11 posts in this topic

Well, today is day 2 of the grading class in Charlotte. It's been very fascinating. Trying to describe everything here would be daunting, so I'm just going to bullet point some things I've picked up. Jim and Brian are awesome! Met two board members, too, so that was fun!

* The graders at PCGS and NGC are incredibly good. Listening to them and watching them grade and describe coins just humbles me. I never realized how lacking in skill I was in this area till I could compare myself against experts. I don't think I'm going to argue grades I get anymore!

* Grading copper is evil. So many ways it gets manipulated. Altered color, altered surfaces, shoe polish, camel brushes, ammonia treated, etc. Raw copper is a dangerous area to go into unless you know what you're doing.

* Others have said this, so this is a repeat. But now I see how true it is: look at the coin first! Read that last sentence about 100 times in a row. Get a feel for the coin first and then look for problems on the coin. After you've seen a variety of grades, your instinct will put you pretty close to the final grade.

* Luster is everything. It can make or break the grades

* Discoloration doesn't necessarily mean circulation. It takes exposure to coins to see legitimate AU-58 versus a slightly discolored MS-62.

* Grading from photos is also evil. You can get a general idea +- 1 point or so. But now I see just how inadequate a photo is.

Luster is everything.

A few years ago, Sheridan Downey educated me on the virtues of luster and its importance. Ever since that lecture, I've passed this onto anyone else who is just starting out...

EVP

I have to admit that I sort of had an inkling of it, but I had no clue how much I didn't know and understand! It's what first tells you what a grade is before anything else. I also understand market grading better now, thinking of it as an appraisal and less as a state of preservation. However, it reflects the preservation. Those graders have my respect. I had no idea how skilled they are.

"Lustre is everything"

AMEN to that!!!!!

just a tip.....

properly hold the coin (raw) in your finger tips and "Rock" the coin back and forth and up and down in your hand.

If it has that "cartwheel" affect then your on the right track for lustre.

Rob

Great post NWCS. I also have great respect for their skills. One of the points you made today that I thought was worth repeating is that the process they use "look of the coin first, and then technical deductions" more closely mimicks what we do when we see a coin we want to buy.

Excellent post! Reading it only makes me want more to take the grading class. The advice about grading coins - look at the coin first - reminds me of Olympic event judging. Evaluate the performance, then deduct for technical (and artistic) flaws.

Beijim

lustre IS everything! take from a proof set collector, like myself!!

and yes!! copper is not only evil its horrid!!!!

glad your having fun, and wish i was there.

mike grin.gif

I took this class about 3 years back & was very impressed w/the graders as well, especially when they explain how they arrive at their grades - it is not just "gut feel", the best ones can explain exactly what they are looking for. Mark Salzburg was in our class and got mildly irritated when we starting asking lots of pointed questions about the grading services instead of asking questions about the actual coins smile.gif

I definitely think everyone should take this class. It's excellent. And you really improve in your evaluation of coins after even just one day. And being able to ask a grader how and why they ended up at particular grades is invaluable.

One other tip, see the best coins possible so you can have an idea of what a coin can look like. When you see what's possible, you can more easily see what makes a coin grade differently.