• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth the money to send in an old coin that I inherited?

5 posts in this topic

It’s a 1910 good piece, that my dad left me. I see that the price varies a lot, depending on the condition. I don’t know what this condition would be. It does have some minor scratches. It is also in a sealed plastic, and I haven’t opened it. Should I open it and look at the back before deciding? I know nothing about coins. 

326D950D-A7ED-4C3B-92D9-8492457B2684.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Sheree1

Hard to tell anything from that photo, Can't even tell if it is Genuine or not.

Please take out of plastic and shoot a clear photo of both sides. We need to see the details on both sides of the coin in able to help you.

9 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum Sheree1

Hard to tell anything from that photo, Can't even tell if it is Genuine or not.

Please take out of plastic and shoot a clear photo of both sides. We need to see the details on both sides of the coin in able to help you.

Agreed with Greenstang on all points......we'll need some clearer photos out of the plastic to help you further.  There are a lot of fakes of old US gold coins out there and some of them are very convincing. 

Though it does not look an extremely nice grade ... BE CAREFUL OF THE STAPLE! on removal.

Its a nice coin if real … 1200 ish if XF is correct.

Would be nice to memorialize the coin for your fathers sake BUT probably not worth the $

Better pictures would help a lot. Yes Phone cameras can take good pictures just take your time with some good lighting

Look forward to see what you got there ...

Edited by jgrinz

7 hours ago, jgrinz said:

BE CAREFUL OF THE STAPLE! on removal.

This bears repeating. Remove the staple completely before trying to take the coin out of the flip. And, handle the coin over a soft cloth or some other padded surface, by its edges only.