• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Stuff from the January Long Beach Show

31 posts in this topic

Sure, the showwas four months ago, but since Im such a slab junkie I sent it all off before I had a chance to photograph it. Now they're all back from NGC so here they are:

814242-1869Austria20kNGC65.jpg

Not all that uncomoon but I didn't have a nice one so I brought him home with me. The double headed eagle is my all time favorite coin reverse!

814244-1767Regensburg1pNGC64.jpg

I love the tiny billion pfennigs. I have close to half a dozen of them so this one won't be lonely.

814247-1876DGermany20pNGC65.jpg

I'm working on an Imperial German minor type set in gem or better shape and this type was on my "need" list. Of the 21 different coin types I'm about half way done.

814245-1677WurtOels3kNGC65.jpg

How can you resist a nice uncirculated silver coin that's 330 years old. You can't!

814243-1542BrandFrancTNGC40.jpg

I've been "working" on a set of pre 1620 thalers, one each from the seven electors of the Holy Roman Empire. Despite a years worth of searching this is the first actual coin I've added to the set with the Margrave of Brandenburg pictured. Only six more to go!

Comments are welcome. cloud9.gif

Well, since you asked....

I love the tiny billion pfennigs. I have close to half a dozen of them so this one won't be lonely.

You should have held off posting the image of this one. You got screwed on the grade. Someone might remember it later on after I've cracked it, dipped it, and had it reslabbed as an MS66.

I've been "working" on a set of pre 1620 thalers, one each from the seven electors of the Holy Roman Empire. Despite a years worth of searching this is the first actual coin I've added to the set with the Margrave of Brandenburg pictured. Only six more to go!

It's only a VF35.

hi.gif

It's only a VF35.

I remember you saying that the moment I bought it - Truth agreed with you as I recall. My opinion was that NGC would bump these things a bit for originality which is how I arrived at my grade of XF40. Considering it came back on an invoice infamous for its brutality how far off can it be?

I'm very happy with this coin and would have no problems buying it as an XF40. Obviously you are free to disagree. flowerred.gif

Well, since you asked....

You should have held off posting the image of this one. You got screwed on the grade. Someone might remember it later on after I've cracked it, dipped it, and had it reslabbed as an MS66.

I agree about this coin being undergraded. It's the old quandry - dip it and get a nice high number or leave it alone and suffer the indignity of a lowly 64. NGC may see this one again once their mood improves.

I remember you saying that the moment I bought it - Truth agreed with you as I recall. My opinion was that NGC would bump these things a bit for originality which is how I arrived at my grade of XF40. Considering it came back on an invoice infamous for its brutality how far off can it be?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Must be a weakly struck MS63 then.

I'm very happy with this coin and would have no problems buying it as an XF40. Obviously you are free to disagree. flowerred.gif

That's so kind of you....makes me feel so much better right now...I was a little down...I was going thru a box of moderns just back from NGC and seeing all those CAM/UCAM coins slabbed without any CAM/UCAM/* designation made me a little sad...about $1000 sad according to my estimate...

That's so kind of you....makes me feel so much better right now...I was a little down...I was going thru a box of moderns just back from NGC and seeing all those CAM/UCAM coins slabbed without any CAM/UCAM/* designation made me a little sad...about $1000 sad according to my estimate...

You sound like the guy across the street with a boatload of MS64 Lincoln Memorial cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

You sound like the guy across the street with a boatload of MS64 Lincoln Memorial cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif He might be headed over here. Boy is he going to be disappointed if he thinks he'll get a grade bump submitting moderns to NGC. Right now I have to say they are tighter than PCGS.

Overall, I'm happy with the numerical grades on this invoice. Most got the grade I was expecting, just not the CAM/UCAM designation. NGC has REALLY tightened up on this designation.

Overall, I'm happy with the numerical grades on this invoice. Most got the grade I was expecting, just not the CAM/UCAM designation. NGC has REALLY tightened up on this designation.

I guess the (non) cameo stuff is too cheap to make it worthwhile to try again once they loosen up?

I guess the (non) cameo stuff is too cheap to make it worthwhile to try again once they loosen up?

Yep. I wouldn't mind trying a couple again (a PF68 Franklin looks full CAM), but more will come along in the future and no need to resubmit these. In fact, close to 100 more moderns were submitted to NGC today. Moderns are plentyful.

Could you two get a room somewhere?

Feeling left out?

No more so than usual... sorry.gif

Feeling left out?

We're coming up in July to see you. thumbsup2.gif

Feeling left out?

Cheer up, here's a nice French coin for you:

5e_1_b.JPG

Feeling left out?

5e_1_b.JPG

I saw that. Very nice. Wish I couldafforded it.

July which day? W-Th-F-S?

Feeling left out?

5e_1_b.JPG

I saw that. Very nice. Wish I couldafforded it.

July which day? W-Th-F-S?

Not sure, but for the ANA show. I'll likely be there several days including Sat & Sun.

"I remember you saying that the moment I bought it - Truth agreed with you as I recall."

I remember this coin vividly. I recall saying it was a VF at best, European standards. Most likely a nice Fine. NGC is wacked when grading these coins.

TRUTH

I remember this coin vividly. I recall saying it was a VF at best, European standards. Most likely a nice Fine. NGC is wacked when grading these coins.

Unlike those European standards where gem unc coins with a drop of toning are called EF. yeahok.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Must be a weakly struck MS63 then.

come come to the darkside flowerred.gif send them to ICG at least you will get your designations plus economy grading only $12.00 devil.gif

I remember this coin vividly. I recall saying it was a VF at best, European standards. Most likely a nice Fine.

Thankfully I have no plans on moving to Europe. EF it is! acclaim.gif

814247-1876DGermany20pNGC65.jpg

I'm working on an Imperial German minor type set in gem or better shape and this type was on my "need" list. Of the 21 different coin types I'm about half way done.

I like the simplicity and the clean surfaces of this one.

814245-1677WurtOels3kNGC65.jpg

How can you resist a nice uncirculated silver coin that's 330 years old. You can 't!

And this one, I want to see it in San francisco. hi.gifgossip.gif

Can you please tell me how you get such nice pictures, i.e., camera, setup, etc? I am looking for the right equipment to make pictures like these of my coins. I would appreciate it very much.

Marv Finnley

Can you please tell me how you get such nice pictures, i.e., camera, setup, etc? I am looking for the right equipment to make pictures like these of my coins. I would appreciate it very much.

Marv Finnley

I use a Canon Powershot G5 with a macro lens. I think the lens is more important than the particular camera. For lighting I have a pair of Ott lights placed parallel to one another. I rest my wrist on one of the lights putting the lens about 6 inches over the coins. Take a couple of photos of each side and keep only the best. Next import to Photoshop for cropping and perhaps a bit of tweaking with the ligght balance.

Voila! Coin pictures.

It's only a VF35.

I have no problem with NGC bumping a grade up a notch to reward originality. I have an 1836 5$ gold which is NGC AU50. Strictly graded by wear, it is a high-end XF but with its originality, AU50 is a more realistic grade. An additional role of TPGS's is a pricing service. So, this is perfectly acceptable behavior in my opinion.

p.s. very appealing coin, JJ. I have definitely benefitted by your posts and have become much more of a well-rounded collector. And I ain't refering to my tummy, neither. tongue.gif

I will never understand this. To me, the degree of contrast (especially on a non-toned coin) is a no-brainer decision. My job as a radiologic technologist depends wholely and completely upon recognizing the degrees of contrast. Short-scale contrast provides a more stark contrast as opposed to long-scale contrast. So why are so many of the coins mis-designated?? It makes absolutely no sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif