• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this 1970 D penny a fake?

11 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Greenstang said:

What makes you think it is a fake?

Did you weigh it to see if it is 3.11g

Yes It weighs correct it just seems too perfect and color is different. It was inside of a little See-through crystal ball type thing And I broke it out of it and then ended up with Weighing correct

Just now, TON Collection said:

Yes It weighs correct it just seems too perfect and color is different. It was inside of a little See-through crystal ball type thing And I broke it out of it and then ended up with Weighing correct

Something odd to it

I'm pretty sure that what you have is a nice uncirculated 1970 D Lincoln cent. Copper reacts differently to different environments so it is possible the colouring is due to it being enclosed in the crystal ball.  Keep it in the 2x2 as it is in MS condition.

12 hours ago, TON Collection said:

I’ve noticed the second eight in the date is extremely weak? What would cause this anyone. I  appreciate all the help and any help given. Thanks everyone 

877A4FB2-CA5D-435E-B3F7-2C6112AB893E.jpeg

6 hours ago, TON Collection said:

F1282999-B1FF-4CF6-A53B-BF9DB85F3D01.thumb.jpeg.13b541bb61979bc0e46981f0a320ed92.jpegA596D0D6-0812-4BC6-9570-EB2C226D848B.thumb.jpeg.0a4f2ff9d43593be34838548685328d6.jpegWondering if this is penny is some sort of gift shop replica or something?

4 hours ago, Greenstang said:

What makes you think it is a fake?

Did you weigh it to see if it is 3.11g

10 minutes ago, TON Collection said:

Something odd to it

4 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

I'm pretty sure that what you have is a nice uncirculated 1970 D Lincoln cent. Copper reacts differently to different environments so it is possible the colouring is due to it being enclosed in the crystal ball.  Keep it in the 2x2 as it is in MS condition.

2 hours ago, TON Collection said:

I have got to ask.  Have you had the crystal ball for a while and just needed to find out about the odd-colored Cent or did you recently obtain the crystal ball and also decided you needed to find out about the odd-colored Cent?   In my mind, an intact Crystal Ball with a Real Cent embedded might be worth a few dollars, a Broken Crystal Ball with either a fake Cent or real Cent is worth about a Cent.

8 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

I have got to ask.  Have you had the crystal ball for a while and just needed to find out about the odd-colored Cent or did you recently obtain the crystal ball and also decided you needed to find out about the odd-colored Cent?   In my mind, an intact Crystal Ball with a Real Cent embedded might be worth a few dollars, a Broken Crystal Ball with either a fake Cent or real Cent is worth about a Cent.

It was more like a ornament rather then a crystal ball I should say . It was a round clear ball that the penny just rolled around in. And it always looked like a kind of Monopoly money or something in that manner. Even though monopoly didn’t use change, you get my point. 

11 minutes ago, TON Collection said:

Absolutely 

9 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

Just now, TON Collection said:

It was more like a ornament rather then a crystal ball I should say . It was a round clear ball that the penny just rolled around in. And it always looked like a kind of Monopoly money or something in that manner. Even though monopoly didn’t use change, you get my point. 

6 hours ago, TON Collection said:

Thanks Ton, I was picturing something like a lucite embedded Cent not a hollow sphere with the Cent kind of free to move around.