• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on removing metal loop from 8 Reales Coin?

8 posts in this topic

Hello! My grandfather gave me a number of coins when I was younger, and my favorite has always been this 8 Reales coin from 1809, but someone had put a metal loop on it to attach it to jewelry or something. At any rate, the loop is the one part of this coin that I loathe and really wish I could get rid of. I'm sure there are plenty of these kinds of coins out there in the 'wild' as it were, so I am sure one that has been modified isn't worth much at all, so I guess it would mostly be just to enjoy the coin more. Any advice is appreciated, see photos below. 

Thank you for your time!

-IsaacT

Mexico 8 Reales 1809.jpg

You'll never get that piece of eight back to the way it was before someone welded the loop. I'd think cleanest way would be a Dremel tool and patient gentleness.

37 minutes ago, JKK said:

You'll never get that piece of eight back to the way it was before someone welded the loop. I'd think cleanest way would be a Dremel tool and patient gentleness.

Thanks, I took your advice and brought out the ol' dremel. I went slowly, and tried to make sure I didn't go too far. I didn't want a divot or flat spot because I got too aggressive. You can't feel where it is with your fingers, so that is good enough for me. And it blends in better than I had hoped as well. EDIT: Wanted to say thanks again for the advice

Mexico 8 Reales 1809 Post-Op.jpg

Edited by IsaacT

9 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Well done. (thumbsu

Agreed!  I would have likely screwed that operation up like you wouldn't believe (tools and I tend not to get along well.  My fiancee is the handy one in our relationship).  I'm very impressed!

Edited by Mohawk

I love pieces of eight. Glad you treated that piece of history with gentle patience, and gald to help.

10 minutes ago, JKK said:

I love pieces of eight. Glad you treated that piece of history with gentle patience, and gald to help.

Agreed.....they're very beautiful coins.  I, too, am glad that Isaac was able to save it with your help.

Edited by Mohawk