• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Lincoln cent grandpa DDO ?

11 posts in this topic

Hi TON,

Unfortunately, I don't see any doubling on your coin from the photo provided.  It's possible that you have some machine doubling that isn't showing up in the photos or possibly what they call the "Poor-Man's Doubled Die", which actually isn't a doubled die at all but the result of die deterioration.  Here's a page that explains about the "Poor-Man's Doubled Die"

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/FAQ/Poormansdoubleddie.html

Since the 1955 DDO caught on so big with collectors, the "Poor-Man's Doubled Die" is a rare instance of die deterioration sometimes bringing a premium because many dealers over they years have heavily marketed it.

As always, I hope that this helps you out!

~Tom

4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hi TON,

Unfortunately, I don't see any doubling on your coin from the photo provided.  It's possible that you have some machine doubling that isn't showing up in the photos or possibly what they call the "Poor-Man's Doubled Die", which actually isn't a doubled die at all but the result of die deterioration.  Here's a page that explains about the "Poor-Man's Doubled Die"

Since the 1955 DDO caught on so big with collectors, the "Poor-Man's Doubled Die" is a rare instance of die deterioration sometimes bringing a premium because many dealers over they years have heavily marketed it.

~Tom

Tom would this be the poor man double die? Honestly not sure about this one.

image.jpg

Wow! TON,

I've never before seen any of that (what seems to be) oxidation clustered into the date numerals and mottos/legends.
If that second image is the graded DDO, who graded it?  You could probable take a soft tooth brush to the first image
coin to get rid of that white stuff. No one will grade it with that on it. It's probably only a VF40, at most, so no dirt removal
will affect its grading.

R_R_H

22 minutes ago, R_R_H said:

Wow! TON,

I've never before seen any of that (what seems to be) oxidation clustered into the date numerals and mottos/legends.
If that second image is the graded DDO, who graded it?  You could probable take a soft tooth brush to the first image
coin to get rid of that white stuff. No one will grade it with that on it. It's probably only a VF40, at most, so no dirt removal
will affect its grading.

R_R_H

Here you go buddy. Accident in the question font. But now I gotta post this for you

48B0C942-2494-4E8B-A78A-4FB4B9AAB5C6.jpeg

9 hours ago, TON Collection said:

Is this enough to grade that high. It’s way to modern for me to take the chance of submitting but it’s for my piece of mind 

7EC5915F-A022-46EC-967E-FE62A662FC78.jpeg

34AA4ECF-FA32-49C6-8252-6D051C5DFD78.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hi TON,

~Tom

3 hours ago, TON Collection said:

Tom would this be the poor man double die? Honestly not sure about this one.

image.jpg

On 6/28/2019 at 4:17 AM, TON Collection said:

42 minutes ago, R_R_H said:

16 minutes ago, TON Collection said:

Looks to be a little dirt under there now that you say it. Damn I thought it was it😘😘

99BABB5D-6999-409C-AA4C-18F866D57A2A.jpeg

Edited by TON Collection

Nice Ton,
    If that's actually your coin, you have a nice DDO. But, if there is ANY coin that I have seen that has NOT MORE
DDO errors, it's the 1955 Lincoln cent. So, get out the tooth brush and clean up that 'other' coin to see if it can be
graded.

R_R_H

11 hours ago, R_R_H said:

. So, get out the tooth brush and clean up that 'other' coin to see if it can be
graded.

R_R_H

Please don't do that, unless you want your coin to be returned as a "Details - Cleaned" coin.

Edited by Just Bob
Autocorrect

Hi TON,

To answer your "Poor Man's Doubled Die" question, it looks like your raw coin could possibly be that variety, but I'd need a closer picture to tell for sure.  And, DO NOT listen to that toothbrush advice.....that's how you destroy a coin, not how you preserve it, as Bob said.