• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Les traigo hoy está moneda de un dólar de plata 1972

15 posts in this topic

Un 72-S es de 40% plata, .3162 onza (hoy vale US$2.28). Las manchas no son bonitas, es verdad, pero el problema es el deterioro. Mi libro dice US$5.50 en condición cerca de incirculante, pero el libro es siempre alto en precio. En realidad creo que vale US$3, es posible, o poco más. Si Ud. trata las manchas, las rayas en los campos serian todavía.

4 hours ago, JKK said:

Un 72-S es de 40% plata, .3162 onza (hoy vale US$2.28). Las manchas no son bonitas, es verdad, pero el problema es el deterioro. Mi libro dice US$5.50 en condición cerca de incirculante, pero el libro es siempre alto en precio. En realidad creo que vale US$3, es posible, o poco más. Si Ud. trata las manchas, las rayas en los campos serian todavía.

En Internet pude leer algo de que el baños podía variar según el tipo de acuñación ya que sacaron 3 cuños de este mismo año y el más raro es donde no se aprecia la isla de Cuba y el estado de la Florida 

IMG_20190625_0952336.jpg

No conozco bien estos monedos dolares; no los colecto, por eso no sé cuantos tipos hay.

Folks, are there more valuable subtypes of this piece where one can't see Florida and Cuba on the little globe?

10 minutes ago, JKK said:

No conozco bien estos monedos dolares; no los colecto, por eso no sé cuantos tipos hay.

Folks, are there more valuable subtypes of this piece where one can't see Florida and Cuba on the little globe?

I believe that the OP is thinking of the 1972 Philadelphia Business Strikes.  A small number of those were struck with the reverse style used on the silver pieces (in 1972, both the BU and Proof Silver pieces had the same reverse style) and those are valuable.  But that reverse is not valuable on the OPs piece because it's one of the silvers, which all have this reverse.

This is the Variety Plus page for the valuable variety.  Sadly, I do not speak Spanish, so if you could translate this for the OP Jonathan, I would greatly appreciate it:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-1971-1978/819274/

I hope this helps the OP and you, my friend.

~Tom

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

I believe that the OP is thinking of the 1972 Philadelphia Business Strikes.  A small number of those were struck with the reverse style used on the silver pieces (in 1972, both the BU and Proof Silver pieces had the same reverse style) and those are valuable.  But that reverse is not valuable on the OPs piece because it's one of the silvers, which all have this reverse.

This is the Variety Plus page for the valuable variety.  Sadly, I do not speak Spanish, so if you could translate this for the OP Jonathan, I would greatly appreciate it:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-1971-1978/819274/

I hope this helps the OP and you, my friend.

~Tom

Thanks, Tom. I would, except that I think I see a distinct S mint mark on his Ike. Am I mistaken? The image is a little unclear.

3 minutes ago, JKK said:

Thanks, Tom. I would, except that I think I see a distinct S mint mark on his Ike. Am I mistaken? The image is a little unclear.

You definitely see an S, Jonathan.  I don't think I explained myself well....I apologize.  He definitely has an S silver strike and it's not rare nor especially valuable.  It seemed that he was asking if there was an Ike dollar that existed at all that was valuable with that reverse style because he had heard about one.  I posted what I did because I believed that he was confusing his coin, which is common, with the 1972 Philly Clad Business Strike coin with the Type 2 Reverse (same as the silver coins), which is valuable.  Sorry I was clear as a tar pit there....I hope I've clarified myself alright.

2 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

You definitely see an S, Jonathan.  I don't think I explained myself well....I apologize.  He definitely has an S silver strike and it's not rare nor especially valuable.  It seemed that he was asking if there was an Ike dollar that existed at all that was valuable with that reverse style because he had heard about one.  I posted what I did because I believed that he was confusing his coin, which is common, with the 1972 Philly Clad Business Strike coin with the Type 2 Reverse (same as the silver coins), which is valuable.  Sorry I was clear as a tar pit there....I hope I've clarified myself alright.

No, that's okay. But that is far too complicated and detailed for my woeful Spanish, so I will have to digest it:

Mi amigo dice que su monedo no es raro, pero es posible que Ud. piensa de una otra clase de dolar Ike, mas raro: el 1972 de Philadelphia (sin marca de monederia), de niquel de cobre (lo normal), con el reverso similar a los dolares de plata de San Francisco (como el suyo). Il da un enlace a una página NGC que describe esta variación. Espero que esto es bastante claro.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

No, that's okay. But that is far too complicated and detailed for my woeful Spanish, so I will have to digest it:

Mi amigo dice que su monedo no es raro, pero es posible que Ud. piensa de una otra clase de dolar Ike, mas raro: el 1972 de Philadelphia (sin marca de monederia), de niquel de cobre (lo normal), con el reverso similar a los dolares de plata de San Francisco (como el suyo). Il da un enlace a una página NGC que describe esta variación. Espero que esto es bastante claro.

Thanks Jonathan.....

Sorry that was so complicated.  Ike varieties can be a real pain in the butt without having to translate them.  Sorry I couldn't come up with a less complicated way to explain that!

~Tom

3 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Thanks Jonathan.....

Sorry that was so complicated.  Ike varieties can be a real pain in the butt without having to translate them.  Sorry I couldn't come up with a less complicated way to explain that!

~Tom

It's not your fault that I suck at Spanish. But a lot of it is never having been exposed to most of the esoteric numismatic vocabulary in any language but my native English.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

It's not your fault that I suck at Spanish. But a lot of it is never having been exposed to most of the esoteric numismatic vocabulary in any language but my native English.

You definitely kick my butt at Spanish for sure....I just know a few words.  I wish I knew more, but I never had the time to really devote to studying the language.  One of my few regrets in life is not learning a second language.  Ah well.....I'm still young-ish.  Maybe someday :)

43 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

You definitely kick my butt at Spanish for sure....I just know a few words.  I wish I knew more, but I never had the time to really devote to studying the language.  One of my few regrets in life is not learning a second language.  Ah well.....I'm still young-ish.  Maybe someday :)

Wait until you hit seven. It screws up your active vocabulary in English. Since you can easily summon seven words for 'dog,' it's much harder to dig up something like 'indubitably' or 'pronate.' They're all still there in your inactive; they just don't float to the top of the log pond of vocabulary with as much ease.

7 minutes ago, JKK said:

Wait until you hit seven. It screws up your active vocabulary in English. Since you can easily summon seven words for 'dog,' it's much harder to dig up something like 'indubitably' or 'pronate.' They're all still there in your inactive; they just don't float to the top of the log pond of vocabulary with as much ease.

I can only imagine how that works in one's brain.  It has to be crazy sometimes.  My maternal grandfather was trilingual....he knew Danziger dialect German, Polish and English and because he grew up speaking Danziger German (for want of a better term) and Polish and he learned English as an adult, sometimes the Danziger and Polish words would pop out when he was speaking to other family members who only spoke English.  Every so often, he'd slyly teach myself, my sister and my cousins a little Danziger or Polish profanity, just for fun.  I wish I remembered some of those now....I do miss him.

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

I can only imagine how that works in one's brain.  It has to be crazy sometimes.  My maternal grandfather was trilingual....he knew Danziger dialect German, Polish and English and because he grew up speaking Danziger German (for want of a better term) and Polish and he learned English as an adult, sometimes the Danziger and Polish words would pop out when he was speaking to other family members who only spoke English.  Every so often, he'd slyly teach myself, my sister and my cousins a little Danziger or Polish profanity, just for fun.  I wish I remembered some of those now....I do miss him.

The interwar Danzig coins are cool. I picked up a rather nice 2pf, VF, from a local dealer the other day. They kind of hearken back to the German States days before the rise of Brandenburg Prussia.

12 hours ago, JKK said:

The interwar Danzig coins are cool. I picked up a rather nice 2pf, VF, from a local dealer the other day. They kind of hearken back to the German States days before the rise of Brandenburg Prussia.

That's a huge part of what I love about them, too!  I only have one....a 1923 2 pf that is ANACS graded XF.....I really love it.  I've often thought that those coins are kind of a glimpse into what some of the States would have issued had Prussia not risen up and conquered them all in the name of "unification".  They're like an interesting piece of what might have been.