• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005P Nickle (LA Purchase)

7 posts in this topic

Hi Reme,

In looking at your coin, I think you have post-minting damage as the mark appears to be sunken into the coin.  This kind of thing happens when coins get hit by another coin or something else, like a key in a pocket full of change.  If the marks were raised, that would be a minting error.

I hope that this was helpful! Keep hunting!

~Tom

Just now, Reme84 said:

Thanks for the reply sir! Greatly appreciate all feedback. Very new to this!

No problem, glad to help Reme.  As far as the lips go, I'm not seeing anything there that looks like a doubled die to me.  It could be strike doubling or machine doubling though, which doesn't show up as well in photos sometimes.  This kind of doubling isn't really considered an error.  Our hosts have a great article that can help you tell the difference between the two types of doubling.  It can be tricky at first to discern between them.  I know it was for me when I was first starting out.  Here's a link to that article:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

It's a great read for a newbie to this whole coin thing :)

~Tom