• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019-D Lowell Error.

9 posts in this topic

A coin can't be both an error and a variety. It has to be one or the other.

In your case I don't think it is either one. 

The first coin you can see where it has taken a hit in the third picture.

The second coin is a little hard to tell but it has either taken a hit or it is a small die chip.

The first quarter looks like reed marks from another quarter.  The second one is hard to tell what is happening.  Maybe tilt it a couple different ways until you get the shot.

5 hours ago, Greenstang said:

In your case I don't think it is either one. 

The first coin you can see where it has taken a hit in the third picture.

The second coin is a little hard to tell but it has either taken a hit or it is a small die chip.

I'm in agreement with Greenstang.....the first coin is definitely post minting damage.  It likely got hit by another quarter somewhere along the way during the bagging, counting or rolling process.  The second one could be a small die chip, but it's very hard to tell from the photos provided.  It could also be another hit.....I just can't say for sure based on the photos provided. 

10 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Not true, a coin can be a variety, with an error.  Say for example a 1972 DDO struck on a clipped planchet would be both a varity and an error.

Not true, a coin can be a variety, with an error. 

I agree and realise this.

I should have been more specific in my reply to the OP. In his heading he calls it an error and in his description he refers it as a variety. I was referring to the area that was circled in the photos. This cannot be both an error and a variety. (Although it is neither). In the future I will try to word my replies so there is no doubt about what point I am trying to get across.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:35 PM, Greenstang said:

Someone at PCGS didn't get the memo:

image.thumb.png.e37d1f49aba51c5e77fe3e0b6ccc6076.png

Ditto NGC:

image.png.35151e7b612ea35af179b56a7ad60408.png

And I got corrected by someone at NGC for calling a variety an error. Go figure....

Edited by Just Bob